Df90a Analogue trim gauges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Df90a Analogue trim gauges

I have recently purchased 2 x 2017 Df90a outboards from the local water police. They were using digital gauges. I am using new analogue gauges that fit where the previous gauges were. I have changed the connector under the cowl that allowed the analogue tacho to function properly but I cannot get the trim gauges to work. The port gauge is all the way up and the starboard gauge is all the way down. I am able to set the trim limits on both motors which suggests that the senders are working fine. Am I missing something here??

Did you connect the trim gauges to the 2 pin plugs behind the dash?

Comment

Yes the 2 pin plug , the red, black and grey wires have all been connected. The gauge powers up when ignition is on but the needle stays in whatever position it goes to when on and does not move from there.

Comment

Likely then that the trim plugs at the engine end have to be connected to the engine harness. They can be fun to find, they often are hidden away down the front of the engine so you might have to do some searching.

On newer engines trim data for digital gauges travels via the main harness’s 4 pin plug.

Comment

I've followed the trim cable from the sender. They connect into the harness via a grey 3 pin plug. I cannot see any other plug that they can swing over to. I was wondering if there is a software setting that changes the ECU output to analogue. Looking at the schematic for these motors the trim sender connects to the ECU.

Comment

The ECU needs to be connected to the trim senders to be able to set the trim limits. Therefore there could not be another plug to swing them over to as the 3cu would loose its trim position input.

Comment

There is no setting to change.

Its a physical connection issue.

Comment

Happy to tell you moonlighter you were right. Your last post forced me to go over all connections and I found there is a black wire (ground) spliced to the black wire of the 2 pin plug on the gauge. This wire must be connected to the gauge backlight ground. All works well. Happy days, great barrier reef here I come. Thankyou.

Comment

Working...
                X