Repowering 2007 Glacier Bay Cat Mechanical vs. Drive by Wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repowering 2007 Glacier Bay Cat Mechanical vs. Drive by Wire

Currently have twin 2007 Suzuki df150's with 1500 hours and will repower due to engine age and potential failures 80 miles out. Engines run great but IAC valve failures are annoying. I am leaning towards drive by wire because I am assuming that the wiring is simple and there is less maintenance compared to hydraulic steering. Comments on mechanical vs. drive by wire?.

First, you mentioned “less maintenance than hydraulic steering”.

Not sure if you actually meant that, but the Suzuki Precision Control system has nothing to do with steering.

Its about gear shift and throttle controls - which are electronic rather than cable operated.

Video linked for more info:
    https://youtu.be/WwvDTw6v64Y

Anyway, I have driven both the mechanical control and “fly by wire” AP models, and the difference is night and day.

So perhaps your reference to hydraulic steering was meaning that hydraulic steering is so much easier and nicer than cable steering - and I would definitely agree with that, and the difference between Suzuki mechanical controls and Precision Control is of the same magnitude in my opinion.

Would I get it - hell yeah!!

Comment

Thanks for the insight. I assumed that the precision controls was a drive by wire with a steering component, which would have removed the steering hydraulics. Prices did seem kind of low for a system that included a new "power" steering system. This info is very good news as I can get precision controls and keep my current auto pilot

Comment

Working...
      X