Time to repower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to repower

Well my port engine is going to cost $4K to fix. Needs a new head, block and engine holder. It hydrolocked on me back in May and bent the #4 con rod. Decided I'm going to sell the LU off it, the trim assembly and anything else I can, plus sell the freshly rebuilt starboard engine. Don't guess I'll need my current props so I'll sell those. Take those funds and put them towards 2 new DF140s.
    Didn't want to go this route but I feel it's best. I'm ready to go fishing, not play shade tree mechanic anymore.
    Anybody have any tips or suggestions that I need to consider as I'm gathering my repower quotes? Boat is a 25' Seacat. I will be going with 1 standard and 1 counter rotating this time. I'd like to get my NMEA stuff talking to my Garmin so I can make use of those features. Hull is rated for 150s but I want to keep my cost down as much as possible so I'll likely stick with the 140s. I'll see what the quotes come back as.
    Thanks gents.

Good call.

My recommendation is to get new interface cables for your Suzuki network, the old cables wont work with new 2027/18 engines. The desler should be able to set it all up. Add a couple of C-10's and plug the Garmin in, it should give you a source for speed and also will allow engine data to show.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlighter View Post
      Good call.

My recommendation is to get new interface cables for your Suzuki network, the old cables wont work with new 2027/18 engines. The desler should be able to set it all up. Add a couple of C-10's and plug the Garmin in, it should give you a source for speed and also will allow engine data to show.
      Thanks Moonlighter.
      The existing engines weren't hooked up to a network best I can tell. I found a tee and some cables but they weren't connected to the Garmin so I'll be starting from scratch if I go with a network system.

That said, I'm seriously considering going with the standard analog gauges. It gives me rpms, overheat audible and visual alarms, oil change notification and engine hours. My Garmin gives me SOG. I have fuel gauges in place that work fine. These new engines will sip fuel. I could get about 200nm on 2 full tanks (1 for each engine) before. That's plenty of range for anything I want to do and it should improve slightly after the repower.

It sounds as if I want to utilize all the C10 features, I'll have to purchase extra sensors for water temp, SOG, water pressure, fuel level and fuel consumption, plus the network starter kit. X2 on all of that because it's twins.
      I'm trying to keep my costs down as much as possible with this repower and I just don't see the cost benefit (for me) of going with the C10s.
      I've been running boats for 30 years and never knew the oil / water temps or pressures. I can calculate my fuel consumption rate pretty close if I really want to know.
      I figure with 2 brand new motors and 6 years of warranty, I shouldn't have to worry about system temps and pressures. If something goes awry, the C10 might give me a little more insight into what the problem is, but I'll still be taking it in for repairs under warranty the next 6 years.
      When we're out, I'm always busy with navigating to our destination, trying to stay safe and comfortable in the sea conditions plus keeping an eye on the crew, baits in the spread, etc. I just don't think I would find the C10s useful enough to warrant the extra expense and work involved with setting it all up.
      It's kind of an extra bells and whistles thing in my view, but then I've never had it so I don't know what I'm missing. I can see the super precise fuel consumption data being useful to a degree. The little thing in my truck that says how many miles left before I'm out of gas is cool, but I don't operate my boat the way I do my truck. There aren't any gas stations offshore so I fill up before every trip just to be safe.
      I don't know, I'm thinking it over but if I can save a $1K...

Comment

It is extra bells and whistles and is not necessary, but I sure do like my C10.

As much as you have done to your engines, I think you would like the extra
        data

I found the tach /monitor to be off by 300 rpms at WOT compared to the
        C10. I almost bought another prop. I know you've played with motor height,
        and sure you will experment with props on your new motors. It could help to
        accurately set up your motors.

I know that my engine runs about 135 in cool weather and 148 in hot
        weather. If I get colder or hotter reading, then I maybe able to catch a problem building before it ever triggers the warning system, or strands me.

I run the fuel management with the engine data only (no gps, paddle wheel,
        etc.) It is spot on at refuels. Plus, I can adjust speed and trim for the
        conditions and see where I get the best economy.

I did add a water pressure sensor only to the C10 kit. I can hardly see the
        tailtail under way. Now I can see if there is a difference from the normal at all
        speed ranges. May help diagnosis a failing water pump, etc.

Sometimes giving this information to the Dealers helps them diagnosis an
        issue especially if they cannot reproduce the problem.

I just hopefully helped a gent with his motor. He has a problem with his motor that the Dealer cannot figure out. I believe his motor is engaging troll mode without having the troll mode switch. If he had a C10 it would tell him that troll mode was being activated.

It is a big cost expecially with two motor, definately up to you. I think you would like the C10 though IMHO.
        Henry

Comment

Working...
        X