Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF20ATL 2020 and NMEA

Hi dear Suzuki geniuses!

So I am in the final stage to install 2 of these on our catamaran.

I just been quoted an insane amount of money for two cables to feed NMEA2K data to our B&G Zeus3.

Part number 3492396L01000 was mentioned.

I also read the sticky on networks by Grant. Then the replies and some mentioning about differences for the small A outboards.

So some questions :

1) Can I make that cable myself - like mentioned in Grant's document?

2) is there only one cable needed? (I go the Nmea/mfd only path)

3) I see zero mention of B&G Zeus3 (or any else) MFDs. Is that because B&G is cursed and it won't work?

Thanks for helping. I searched and havent found anything else - forgive me if that info is somewhere already.

Patrick

First thing is to check whether the B&G has engine data pages. I expect it probably will, but you need to check your user manual to make sure.

Then …..

Suzuki interface cables - you need 1 of these per engine
    https://www.brownspoint.com/store/pc...5-38p71395.htm

SDS adapter cables - you need 1 of these per engine. This is the cable that you can make yourself if you wish as described in my article. Its possible that the wire colours may be different in the DF20A as I havent done one of them but should be able to work it out.
    https://www.brownspoint.com/store/pc...S-38p63581.htm

You then need to create a NMEA2000 network to connect it all to. So NMEA2000 starter kit is required.

Its not going to be an inexpensive exercise ….

Comment

Ok so from your document I need only one cable not two If I go mfd only! Right? You just said the opposite here.

I already have a significant NMEA2K network and the Zeus3 is specifically unlocking a Suzuki set of gauges from what the manual say.

The interface cable you showed to me is 3x less than what I have been quoted in Thailand by the Suzuki dealer so they will have some.exolaoning to do.

Thanks

Comment

My earlier reply was correct and in line with the document I wrote. You must be misinterpreting it.

YOU NEED AN INTERFACE CABLE AND ADAPTER CABLE FOR EACH ENGINE. No doubt about it. The adapter cable plugs into the engine’s SDS plug, then the interface connects to it, and finally, to the network, and eaxh engine has to be done the same. Doesnt work any other way.

The only extra thing I would add is that since YOU now say that the B&G display you have has the potential for activating the Suzuki gauges, then by using a special Suzuki Connect Gateway interface cable on the port engine, and the standard interface cable on the starboard engine, then you SHOULD get all the proprietary Suzuki fault codes and service reminders in the B&G. This can be very valuable to help diagnose issues if they happen and thus prevent damage to the engine.

Here is a link to the Connect interface cable, its a little more expensive than the standard interface cable.
        https://www.brownspoint.com/store/pc...-405p76777.htm

Please note that I am not sure that the Connect interface cable will definitely unlock the capability to show those fault codes and service reminders on the B&G display. Its a “maybe” situation simply because B&G is part of the Navico group and shares the basic software and programming as Lowrance and Simrad.

It definitely does do that for Lowrance and Simrad displays, so I would recommend contacting Simrad or better still, Suzuki (Brownspoint marine where I linked the parts) who are very helpful with these kinds of questions- you can email them and ask. The question to ask them is “Will the Suzuki Connect gateway cable work with a B&G (insert your model details) to show all the Suzuki fault codes and service reminders?”

And while you are there, ask “can I also confirm that the B&G display will be able to configure the Suzuki network and interfaces for twin engines?”.

Comment

I definitely misinterpreted, sorry!

Thanks for that super info I will report my findings.

Have a great day!

Comment

Thats OK. Take this stuff slowly and read carefully and its not as complex as it initially sounds.

As per the thread on this topic on THT forum you will:

- Attach the Connect Gateway Interface cable to the port engine, using the SDS adapter cable.
            - attach the standard interface cable (as per earlier link) to the starboard engine, also using an SDS adapter cable.

Both of these cables then plug into network T’s on the backbone you have to create using the Starter Kit plus the T’s that are supplied with each interface cable. The B&G is plugged into another network T on the same backbone. The final T piece in the backbone is used to connect power to the backbone.

Comment

Roger that! Now clearer than ever.

Thanks again.

Funny enough the local Suzuki wants me to buy two 34923-96L01-000 *only*.

I contacted Brownspoint. TBContinued!

Pat

Comment

The part number they are saying is, I believe, the gateway cable used for the “Suzuki SMD” displays that are basically 7” and 9” Furuno TZT displays that are rebranded as Suzuki and run custom software to give them the Suzuki functionality via that special gateway cable.

Please understand that outside the USA, the only CURRENT options provided by Suzuki Marine for digital gauges are:

1. the 4” Suzuki SMG4 gauges (they dont use interface cables of any kind, they attach to the engine harness like analogue gauges)

2. The Furuno cloned 7” and 9” “SMD” displays.

Many dealers outside the USA have never heard of the Suzuki C-10 4” gauge displays (which are cloned Simrad IS-35 gauges) that have been commonly used in the USA in conjunction with the engine interface cables for quite some years, and more recently the specialty “Suzuki Connect Gateway” interface cable that is specifically for use with Navico (Simrad/Lowrance) displays.

So thats probably why the confusion eg You mention “Gateway” to them in your country, and the only thing they find on their national Suzuki parts list is the Gateway for the Furuno based displays. Mind you, they should know those cables will ONLY work with the SMD (Furuno) displays and nothing else. So if you tell them you want to use a B&G, they should tell you it will not work with those Gateways.

Let us know what Brownspoint says. Will add to the collective knowledge bank.

Hardly anyone here on this forum deals with B&G equipment as they are targeted at the sailing fraternity. We all know they are really just sailing customised Simrad NSS Displays, but thats about the extent of our familiarity with them. How much of the Simrad functionality that carries over in respect of their integration with Suzuki engines is unknown.

Comment

Working...
                X