Connecting to old Blue NMEA Network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting to old Blue NMEA Network

I have a 2008 DF250TXXK8 with 2 SMIS 4", 2 SMIS 2" gauges, a Lowrance LGP2000 GPS antenna and a fuel sensor connected via a NMEA 2000 back bone made of old Blue "Mini" connectors. Suddenly the two 4" gauges faded to unreadable while the 2 2" gauges are still good. Since the gauges are unavailable I plan to send them out to attempt restoration of the Polarized screens on the LCD. This will leave me with little engine information available while the gauges are out for repair. Is it possible to connect my GPSMAP 1000XS Garmin (with the new black Micro connectors) to the NMEA network to permit intermittent engine monitoring? I though it might be simple , obviously not. I got an adapter cable Blue mini to Red micro at the local boat salvage yard, but connecting it to the backbone resulted in outputs that do not match standard NMEA pin out so I hesitated to connect to my Chartplotter. Has anyone done this? Is it possible?

I have done this before, except connected a Lowrance display.

I took a terminating resistor off one end of the network and plugged the blue end of the adapter cable in there instead. Added a new black T piece the other end - so, effectively I converted one end of the network from blue to black connectors. Put a new black terminating resistor on that end. I ended up having 2 new black T’s on that end of the network that I connected a couple of HDS units to.

Worked fine. No reason why it wont work the same with Garmin displays.

Comment

Moonlighter, Thanks a million! I did exactly what you said and can now read engine alarms on my Garmin Chartplotter. Worked perfect! Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
      X