Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 2020 model DF20A and NMEA 2000 without SMG4 Digital Display

I am in Australia
    I have been reading all of Moonlighting's excellent posts on Suzuki Outboards and the NEMA 2000 network, but I cannot see a definitive answer.
    I will be repowering my yacht with a new DF20A 20hp long shaft with forward controls and power tilt. I have an existing B&G Vulcan 9 MFD that supports engine gauges and also appears to specifically support Suzuki Motors.
    The part I am getting conflicting information on is if I can directly connect this motor to the N2K backbone just using a Suzuki Engine Interface Cable (V3.5) and Suzuki Cable Adapter SMIS to SDS
    I have read that I must use a 4" Suzuki display and then connect that to the N2K network.

Can anyone please clarify, if I must get this 4" SMG4 to get N2K info on my MFD ?

You can use the interface cable V3.5 with the SDS adapter cable as you originally thought.

With that combo, you dont (in fact, cant) use the SMG4 gauge as well. Cant have both the interface cable and SMG4 at the same time.

The interface cable takes the raw engine data and converts it to NMEA2000. Which then can be displayed on the B&G display when its all connected up via a NMEA 2000 backbone. The only things you wont get with this setup that SMG4 gives you is engine fault cldes and service reminders. You can however get a warning panel (has same 3 warning lights as on the analogue tacho) to give you that info. If you contact Bayside Suzuki Marine Cleveland Qld he has some used warning panels in good condition you can install.

Many Aussie dealers dont understand about the interface cables any more because they stopped using them here back in 2015 when the SMG4 gauge was released. SMG 4 kinda does the same thing as the interface cable internally, it takes raw engine data (I think its the common automotive J1939 format) and apart from displaying it, it also converrts it to NMEA2000 format and can send it to the NMEA2000 network if one is connected to it.

Comment

Thank you so much Moonlighter, I was hoping you would clear it up.
      I was ready to order the motor today, when the dealer said I had to get the digital gauge and there was none available until mid next year.
      From what I had researched mainly from your fantastic work, it did not seem correct.
      Glad I checked. I am not fussed about the warning lights, as the buzzer and lights in the forward control is enough.

Comment

Hi Moonlighter,
        I have just ordered the new outboard and have 1 last question.
        You mentioned in another thread (https://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/...-2020-and-nmea) about the Connect interface cable, and it would allow for the error codes to be displayed on Navico MFD's. Would this be a better cable option than the v3.5 SDS Cable ?

The dealer told me that there is no oil and over temp warnings on the forward control box. Just want to make sure I have a way to tell if there is any problems

Comment

Yes the Connect cable would be better, assuming that it will show the fault codes and warnings on the B&G (not sure that it does, I think I saw a report in the USA that suggests not).

The Connect cable isnt available in Australia as far as I am aware, you would need to buy it in the USA.

With the standard interface cable, I can assure you that you do get temp and other ALARMS on the MFD. I have seen temp warnings on my Simrad and Lowrance screens.

Its the fault codes and service reminders (oil change) that you wont get with the standard interface cable unless you run it in combination with a proprietary Suzuki gauge (eg SMIS or C-10).

Comment

Hi Enforcer is this what you use? I have Suzuki DF 30 AV's. I live in South Africa and have also been told I need to buy gauges. I want to connect to a Garmin which can display all the engine data. Just want to make sure as I am probably going to have to order from overseas. Thanks. Andrew Suzuki Engine Interface Cable (V3.5).

Our Products: Suzuki Marine Parts > Gauges > Suzuki NMEA 2000 Gauges > Interface & Power Cables
            Engine Interface Cable (V3.5)
            Part No: 990C0-88149-357
            Weight: 1 lbs
            Brand: Suzuki 990C0-88149-357

Comment

Working...
            X