DF 250 Oil Leak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF 250 Oil Leak?

Replacing water pumps today and noticed some oil around the top of the driveshaft on both engines when I removed the lowers. One did have a little bit more than the other. Its been 200 hours since the lowers were pulled (engines have 400 hours total). I see varying comments regarding this issue ranging from the drive shaft seals need to be replaced now to a small amount of oil is ok. Oil level has always checked fine, in fact I have never seen it vary, never seen any sheen and no drips anywhere.

Any thoughts from those knowledgeable about these engines?

Ok, my first post did not receive any responses so I would like to ask some follow-up questions. I have decided to go ahead and replace the seal. The manual isn't very clear on this type of repair as it seems to focus on removing the timing chain and other parts. Can I remove just the gear holder while leaving everything else in place? If I leave the powerhead hanging will the gear try to fall without the holder? Is the bearing pressed into the holder or will it come out easily to access the seal?

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
    X