Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki DF40ATL - Issues or Normal?

Goodmorning All,
    Found this forum due to having issues as of late with my outboard.

Motor is a Suzuki DF40ATL, 81 Hours.

I was pushing the boat off the bank, Had the motor trimmed up (What i thought was enough) and fired the motor up.
    Prop hit a submerged log/stick and cut out immediately.

Didn't think anything of it, got the boat out deeper, Fired it up and went and did my weekend worth of fishing.
    Wasn't till i pulled the boat out the water that I noticed the prop blade had bent.

Started the boat up on the trailer, It was visible that it did have some minor vibration but I'm putting this down to the prop then not being balanced.

I ordered a new prop from factory like for like.
    Removed the old prop,
    Started the boat again and put it into gear, output shaft was spinning true and had no indication of being bent.

So i I then install the prop, as the old one came off, Secured the locking nut and split pin.

Soon as I put it into gear, Low RPM, Horrible chatter, that is consistant with the prop spin.
    I've then increased the RPM and the noise dissapears.
    I belive this is prop chatter, but i never had this in the first place, prior to damaging the old prop and after damaging the old prop. Only since installing the new prop.

Removal of the prop this noise isn't present.

I've then removed the prop shaft assembly, all gears are in good working order, oil is spotless, there is no indication of any damage on the teeth etc.

Also, When the boat is off, and i engage forward, I can spin the prop, which clicks, 1/4 of a rotate but will not go backwards.
    When I engage reverse, it locks the prop both ways?

Theres a run down of the info,

So my question is.
    1. How and Why have i Now got prop chatter?
    2. Is that normal for the prop when in forward without the engine running, to click like it does, and not spin when in reverse?

Thanks for your time.

1. sounds like the wrong prop or you fitted it incorrectly.
    2. gear change alignment is not correct, its not going into forward gear properly.
    #mytwobobsworth

Comment

Working...
    X