Prop shaft bearing size and spec on DF200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prop shaft bearing size and spec on DF200

Hi, would anyone know the size and tolerance spec for the prop shaft roller bearings on a 2008 DF200? Mine are a little loose, and thats why I think I have a leak. The dealer wants $250 for one bearing. I know I can get them at the bearing store for like 20 bucks but I don't know the size, so if anyone knows, that would be appreciated.

And another thing. I am presently trying to sell my boat. A prospective buyer came to look at it, and asked if the lower unit oil was milky. I told him like a dummy that it did get a little milky over the past year. Well it just scared him right away. He wants me to drop the price down 3k so he can have the bearings and gears checked, and the whole lower rebuilt. Is he just spewing BS, or does it really need to come apart? Other than the milky oil the lower works just fine...

Thanks

Well, I can't tell you the size of the bearing. But I can tell you I would look up the part on this site. It will show you what the transmission assembly looks like. There is a bearing pressed into the prop shaft assembly, it costs about $50. I doubt the bearing is bad. If your lower unit oil is getting milky either the fill plug or overfill plug is leaking, or the prop seal is leaking (there are 2 and they can be changed without tearing lower unit apart. With a piece of tubing and the Suzuki lower unit oil fill fitting you can put a little pressure on the housing and see if the seals are leaking. These lower unit gears and bearings are almost bullet proof. I would hold my hand on selling at loss. Discover where the leak is coming from and fix it. If you don't have shavings in the lower unit oil, it's fine.
    Pulling the prop shaft housing is tricky and requires a special nut that you thread on shaft and then to slide hammer. With PB Blaster and some careful heat you can get the prop housing out.. When the motor is this old it really gets hard to take apart (in salt water service).
    Hope this helps
    Last edited by briscoe; 12-31-2021, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Re-reading your post I see that your talking about the roller bearings. The way they fit inside the sleeve or tube of the prop housing, I don't see them having play. There is a tolerance for shim play, where the pop can go in and out. And, there is how far the shaft turns before the prop turns, which is quite a bit. But if there is side to side play in the shaft I think you would have to replace the entire prop shaft housing. I hope this really answers your question.

Comment

so, no way to press out the roller bearing from behind the prop shaft seals, right?

Comment

Yes, it's easy to press the needle bearings out when you pull off the prop housing. There are 2 of them inside housing. Why do you think they need replacing? I burned up a lower unit because of water intrusion, completely displaced oil, and mine were in perfect condition. I replaced them, but when I inspected them, they were perfect. In fact my bearings were still good. It just ate all the teeth off the driveshaft gear.
          If you only had milky oil and no shavings, I'm surprised anything is wrong. Are you sure you want to chase this rabbit?
          Last edited by briscoe; 01-02-2022, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X