Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 Suzuki 115ss tilt/trim issue

Hey guys, looking for some knowledge on this system. 2020 115ss

Backed up to put the boat in today, trim was working fine. Splashed the boat, trim wouldn't work anymore, just clicked. Got it home and started doing some checks. Trim/tilt relay module clicks when switch is pressed, but no movement. If I rapid fire hit the switch about 100 times, it will catch and start to work. It dies again soon as I let off. I have disconnected the trim switch at the cowl with no change. Tried all 3 switches (blinker, remote, cowl) they all do the same. Getting 12.6 to the supply at the relay module. Jumpered the trim/tilt motor off the battery and it operates. I am wondering how the tilt sender/limiter plays into all this. I have read it is all integrated into one unit now, instead of two separate ones. Could this be my issue? I have seen mercurys do this with their tilt/trim sensors, and go into guardian mode. Is this system similar? The boat just got back from the factory having the hull replaced. I ran it all day, no issues with the trim. Hard to believe that module just up and died this morning, but maybe so.

Looks like these have a totally different setup than the old solenoid setup with nuts and wires. The relays are incorporated into one "relay module" that has 2 connectors and sits right beside the ECU. These new engines also incorporate the trim/tilt sender and the limiting switch in one, sending a signal to the ECU. The relationship between these two must be understood to see the problem I had. The ECU takes inputs from the various trim/tilt switches around the boat, and outputs them to the relay module to command trim/tilt operation. There are two wires coming out of the ECU that control the up/down side of the relay module; One is pink, one is green. These are direct feeds out of the ECU. What I found after some extensive diagnosis is the computer was demanding 12 volts on BOTH wires regardless of switch direction. AH HA! After doing a capacitive discharge (remove both positive and negative engine leads from the battery and touch them together) to clear any troubles in the ECU I retested the trim. WORKS FLAWLESS. You'll be shocked what a capacitive discharge can fix, I used it a lot as a automotive technician. Try it sometime.

Only theory I can some up with is that the trim/tilt sender saw something it didn't like, sent a signal to the ECU to limit trim operation. That is how the ECU kills the trim, applies 12 volts to both sides and makes the relay not engage either side. I ran the boat all day yesterday and never had an issue again. I expect to replace a $160 trim sender here in the near future. I wish they just kept the system simple like before, there is absolutely no reason to have all of this stuff driven by the engine controller.

I hope this will help anyone else out that experiences this issue. I know there is not much out there about these newer engines.

Comment

Working...
    X