Outboard support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outboard support

I am interested in how members support their outboards during transit. In particular a DF175 AP (2017 model)

you can support the motor partially tilted with a support that fits over the starboard side trim ram .
    do not use the port side ram as there is a grease nipple in the way
    there are some commercial supports out there. about 1 1/2 in diameter hard rubber with a hole up the center that fits over the ram that can be cut to the proper length.
    I made one from a block of wood
    make sure it is skinny enough so the feeler guage doesn't hang up and bevel the hole where it fits over the ram so as not to mess with the hydronic seal on the ram
    Art

Comment

I have to travel 250 miles one way to the gulf where I fish, (although Harvey just did a number on that area). I use a transom saver, a bar that runs between the motor and the rear crossmember of the trailer.
      Mike
      μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

I use a offcut of 3 x 1 1/2 pine that goes across the upper part of the bracket, and the engine trimmed down onto it. Just be careful to locate it where it wont foul anything when you trim down onto it.

I also have a short length of rope attached to the offcut and tied to the boat, just in case it was to fall out so it wont go bouncing down the road.

As others have mentioned, something like a rubber trailer roller with a hole the same dia as the tilt or ram rod can be split lengthways and pushed over the ram rod, and the motor trimmed down firmly onto it. Few of my mates have done that and it works a treat. Plus the rubber can be shaped as you want it to be at either end so it fits neatly.
        Last edited by Moonlighter; 08-27-2017, 03:23 AM.

Comment

I have a Suzuki DF300. It sporadically is sluggish coming out of the hole, any ideas??

Comment

Accuna, your post has nothing to do with this subject. What you need to do to get help is to start your own thread. At the upper left of the forum page, just above all the different forum postings is a place to click on to start your own thread and post your question. It's the button that says, "New Topic." Click on that and enter a subject, then explain your problem in as much detail as possible.
            Mike
            μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Working...
            X