2009 Suzuki DF 140 Engine Interface Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 Suzuki DF 140 Engine Interface Question

I am in the process of installing an engine interface for my Lowrance ElitE Ti1 9 to my 2009 Suzuki DF140. When I ordered my wiring harness from the dealer, they failed to mention the need for the SMIS adapter, so the project is temporarily on hold. My question to the group is on the trim connector. My boat does not have trim indication now, and I could not find a plug on the engine for the trim connector. I had read in another post on this forum, that it may be up by wheel. I did find an open plug under the tachometer that matches the trim connection , but am not certain it is for the trim. It is a two prong female plug with black/ white wires.

I certainly appreciate any help on this matter.

The 2 pin plug in the helm harness is likely the one for trim. Assuming that its also connected at the engine end, it should work. You will need to calibrate it.

The engine end trim connector is often hard to find, look at the front of the engine underneath the cowl latch point, it can be hidden down there.

You can only have either the analogue trim gauge connected or the data going to the network for use on a display, not both at once.

Note: you need the engine interface cable version 2.9.0. Not the 3.5.x version.

Comment

Moonlighter
      Thank you. You were right about the trim plug in the engine. The wire was not white, but white/yellow. It matches the one at the helm. I did not have a trim gauge, so this will be an additional bonus for me. I did buy the 2.9 version. I am waiting for the SMIS adapter to complete the project.

What do you mean by calibrating the trim?

Thank you once again.

Comment

When its all installed and connected up, open the network device list and select the Suzuki interface. First job is to configure the network, then, you will see there the trim calibration option, follow the procedure.

Comment

Moonlighter
          I have everything installed. Version 2.9 for a 2009 Suzuki DF 140, factory SMIS, brand new NMEA backbone and cables. I have repeatedly checked everything according to the numerous threads on this subject and I still cannot get engine to show up on Lowrance Elite TI 9.

Comment

Moonlighter
            I am going to have to tell on myself. On about my third time checking cables, I noticed SDS adapter cable was labeled engine/interface with very small labels. Of course, I had them backwards. Once I changed them, it connected right away.

Thanks again for all your awesome help.

Dan

Comment

Please do the following so we can see if the Elite is connected to the NMEA2000 network and is seeing the engine.

1. Turn engine key on
              2. in Elite menu, select system/network/device list.

The Suzuki should be listed there. You might have to scroll down to see it.

If its not listed, there can be a few reasons.

The very first thing to check is the SDS cable, while the plugs at each end are identical, there is one end that has to go to the engine!! There should be a little tag on it showing which end connects at the engine end. Make sure that is right!! If for some reason your SDS adapter cable doesn’t have a tag identifying the engine end, swap it round and cross fingers.

Otherwise:

- the network is not powered on. Check the network power connection is good (use a test light) and make sure there is a good fuse in the + wire.
              - the Elite and /or the Suzuki interface is not connected correctly or the backbone isn’t set up correctly. All devices, including the power supply, the interface and the Elite, must be plugged into the leg of their T, not to the cross part. There must then be terminating resistors on each end of the network backbone to close off the open end of the T’s at each end.
              - if all that is verified is perfect, try swapping the interface and the Elite to different T’s. I have come across brand new T’s that were bad out of the box.
              - lastly I have seen an occasional adapter cable that was wired incorrectly. But, try the other stuff first. In my sticky thread Im pretty sure I set out which way the SDS adapter cable has to be wired, you could look there first.

Comment

Haha You posted as I was typing and found the first issue I identified!!

Now make sure you do the boat setup and configuration procedure!

Comment

Once it is set up, if you want to check data, put the muffs on the engine or in a barrel of water, and start her up.

You should see fuel flow at about 0.9 litre per hour or the imperial equivalent (3.8 litres to a US gal). If thats what it reads you are looking good!

I always recommend verifying fuel data accuracy after a new install.

This is the process to verify the accuracy or your Suzuki fuel data. It is only used for fine tuning when actual vs predicted is within about 10%. Variations greater than about 10% indicate another issue and its very unlikely that this calibration process will fix such issues.
                  1. Fill the tank to full at regular gas station and remember which pump you use. Reset fuel to full.
                  2. Go fishing and burn at least 1/3 tank, the more the better.
                  3. On the way home from the fishing trip, Go back to the same gas station and same pump if possible and fill up, try to fill to the same fullness as last time. Do not delay and leave it for weeks because evaporation from a partially filled tank can be considerable - experts say up to 5% per week in some conditions! Then compare the actual fuel used to what the Suzuki system says. If its more that 2% different, you should calibrate. To do this:
                  4. Turn the engine key to on where it beeps. Go into the fuel menu and select refuel. Then select set to full, and then hit enter and then select the option to calibrate. Select the engine to calibrate. Then when prompted, input the actual amount it took at the pump to fill up, and complete the process. It will pop up a notification that the K factor is changing to a new value. This K value is the calibration factor. Accept and finish.
                  5. You will probably have to complete this process 3 or 4 times to get within 1-2% accuracy. Once you get that close, leave it alone because variations then are more likely to be due to filling the boat at different gas stations where the angle of boat/trailer affect how much fuel goes into the tank, or inaccuracies in the pumps.

Comment

I went through the configuration process. However, I am in Montana and about a month from open water. Looking forward to testing it out. Thanks again. It took me a bit to find your sticky thread. It was very helpful.

Comment

Working...
                    X