Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replaced (clean) Water Separator- Motor will not start now

Hey y’all. Have DF140 with few hours- ran great
    every for last month. Ran great Tuesday. Tuesday night I replaced the water separator. ( it was clean) but the drain valve seemed loose so… I replaced the whole thing.
    Filled the new filter with gas. Threaded it on, etc. Primed it,
    bulb is good, etc. 8 hours later the motor will not turn over.
    Anyone have any ideas? Thank you

"Will not turn over," as in will not even crank? Or just won't fire and run?
    Mike
    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Thanks for the note/question. Sorry- I will clarify. It will crank, yes. But, will not fire and run. Fuel filter clean, and gas is making to the lp pump. The new water separator is full.
      Anyway in answer to your question- it will not fire. I have not checked the HP pump yet- It just seems very coincidental that after running fine for days/weeks, I swap out the separator and the
      next time I turn the key it won't fire. Thank you

Comment

Good. Just wanted to clarify, because I'm not sure I have an answer, but whoever might could have misread your first post. Is the primer bulb staying firm as you crank? Do you have someone to help you, who can try squeezing the bulb as you try to start? I would do that first. It certainly does seem strange that merely changing the inline fuel filter/water separator would cause your problem. Maybe somesort of crud got knocked loose with the R&R, something small enough not to block passage to the LP pump, but large enough to clog something farther downstream. Strange...
        Mike
        μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

On my DF25A motor (much smaller than your 140), the one time it wouldn't start it turned out to be a small filter I wasn't aware of, between the water separating filter and the HP pump. My speculation about that filter (pure speculation) is that if it is blocked, the HP pump won't run. My understanding is that the injector pump (is that same as HP pump?) is cooled by gasoline flowing through it. Which is why you always hear that you shouldn't run a fuel-injected engine to empty (as many people do with carbureted engines. And on my motor, that filter seemed to get clogged after I allowed the water-separating filter to get too much water in it. So maybe water clogs that HP filter?

Comment

Just pull a spark plug and confirm there is fuel [ a wet plug ] check to see if you have not knocked the safety off lanyard

Comment

Working...
            X