350 Randomly overheating???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 350 Randomly overheating???

Hello, I have twin 2000 350HP Suzuki outboards that I purchased new. Unfortunately I damaged both the lower units last july and had to replace them so the water pumps have less than 25 hours on them. Everything was working fine for a while but now my starboard engine will randomly go from 144F to over 200F (even at idle) but not all the time. The last fishing trip I went out on was in November and I had no problems. Today I went to start her up and let her idle for a while and in just a few minutes, that motor went to 212F, the idle goes up to about 1100 RPMs and I get one beep every 8-10 seconds. It will quickly cool down and the alarm ceases. It will also quit peeing or have a weak stream (a lot like me lately. My area has a lot of seagrass and often I catch some on the pickup screen and it will overheat very quickly and I get the one blaring alarm and it will go into limp mode. What is going on here??? Its almost like something is floating around in the cooling system and gets lodged in the wrong spot for a while. Could I have a faulty T-stat? I know that is unlikely to be the case as that is usually a fail and will not falter back and forth. Thanks for any and all advice!

Did you get the issue resolved? Grass around the water pickup on these motors are issues in Florida and I have read where others simply go in reverse to clear the blockage.

Comment

Yes. Removed the lower unti and discovered that the rubber grommet on top of water pump became dislodged during installation. It was getting enough water during higher speeds but not enough during idle. Replaced and solved. You are correct, we are constantly clearing grass off very small pickup. Super irritating!

Comment

Working...
      X