Engine holder gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine holder gasket

I have a df140 which had oil pan gasket and engine holder gasket replaced because of water in the oil about a year ago for about two grand. Now it has reoccurred. Just wondering h0w hard it is to do yourself for about $100 in parts. Is there any videos showing how to do it and are there a bunch of special tools to do it. Any information will be appreciated. Thanks

I've had water in the oil in 2 different DF140's. Neither was caused by a gasket. I suspect you have more serious problems, mine had holes develop in the head from corrosion. You don't really need any special tools aside from metric wrenches and sockets. Strip all the accessories off the motor, electrical, intake, fuel systems, etc. The head comes off with the block. It's not too bad of a job if you've got the time and a chain hoist. Hopefully you don't shear off any bolts!

Comment

get a copy of the service manual
      step by step instructions
      art

Comment

Haven't really dug into it yet but reading service manuel to change gasket all the exhaust, head, and all other items don't just come off with power head when hoisted up. Just wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by dparvin View Post
          Haven't really dug into it yet but reading service manuel to change gasket all the exhaust, head, and all other items don't just come off with power head when hoisted up. Just wondering.
          Well just dug into it and saw why head and other items have to be removed and on we go. Have service manuel on computer. Im sure I will have questions. Will appreciate any help. Looked up parts off previous invoice. Will the gasket kit cover everything I need. Thanks

Comment

Have got power head off and looked at gasket , couldn't tell if it was leaking. Seems as though they put some soft silicon type sealer on gasket just around water and exhaust opening. Having problems getting engine holder off, all bolts removed and is loose but can't get it to slide up off of drive mainshaft, any suggestions. Do i have to remove shaft out bottom. Engine has jet drive on it and has been on for ten years but only 300 hrs on motor. Just dawned on me could the water in the oil be coming thru a seal on the drive shaft in the jet pump. Thanks for any comments

Comment

Deparvin!. Get your self a workshop manual from EBay for about $10 or $15 and read it, you'll be suprised on how much you will learn about your engine.
              If you are sure all bolts are off give a gentil tap with a rubber or wooden mallet, its probably just the silicon keeping it on. I had my engine holder reserfaced to ensure a good seal. Yes water can get into the oil from several places like the shaft seal which you may as well replace, your local seal and bearing shop should be able to match them, a bad head or gasket, oil cooler,or even a corroded engine holder could be the culprit, If your sure the engine and oil pan gaskets were holding then focus on the next possible cause until you find the problem

Comment

CAT I have it loose and can get an 1/8 inch space all around but seems to be stopped by the main vertical shaft. Going to try again tomorrow I do have manuel on computer

Comment

got everything apart and will be ordering parts Gasket and seals for top of main drive shaft. How hard is to remove those seals as it looked like there might be some seepage by them. Power head and exhaust passages and water passages look clean. The engine has only 300 hours on it and has never been run in the salt. Is the gasket seal recommended by Suzuki any good, it seems to be like just a soft silicon. Is there anything to use thats better. Thanks

Comment

Looking to use permatex #81878 on gaskets around water and exhaust ports on top and bottom of engine holder. I believe this is where my problem occurs, I believe the dealer who repaired the motor used the Suzuki S1-seal around those areas but it is now designed for the use, it does not seem to be high temp. Any opinions

Comment

What made you think it was the engine holder gasket again? Mine originally went due to corrosion from the soft metal plug in the exhaust. If this was addressed last time you did the engine holder gasket, then I don't see why it would happen again???

There are other reasons water can intrude. A very common one is the oil cooler. A second one is a blown head gasket, or a cracked head. I am afraid you are going to get it all back together and discover that was not your problem.

-Shawn

Comment

Well When he changed those gaskets everything went fine and I ran it hard for about 40 or 50 hrs and did not have a problem and changed the oil with no water. I think he may have used the wrong silicon on the gasket. Im going to try it anyway and if it does it again then I will consider taking the head off. I don't know how hard that will be. Will be looking at the manuel. Looks to me like I can dow that without pulling the power head off. Problem right now I ordered the parts out of Naples just before the storm. Don't know when I will get parts. Please keep in touch as I enjoy other opinions. There is abosolutly no corrosion around that plug and I changed it out last time to the aluminum one. I put a new oil cooler on it last time. Thanks Dave

Comment

The cylinder head will come off without removing the power head but it's not supposed to. You won't be able to reinstall it because of the locator sleeves. Trust me I've been down this road. Pull the powerhead, then remove the cylinder head.
                          If you already replaced the oil cooler, my bet is the cylinder head. I just happen to have one for sale if you get it pinpointed to that. I have a good block and an engine holder available as well. These motors are pretty easy to work on, just study and follow the factory service manual.
                          Good luck and I hope for your sake, it's nothing major.

Comment

i have the power head off so how long do you think it takes to change the head gasket. i don't like the looks of the gears ,chains and the rest that comes off but i guess I've gone this far might as well check it. Wish I I knew somebody in Sacramento who knew a little more about this engine then me. By the way I have a brand knew lower unit I would sell if you know somebody who needs one. thanks Dave
                            Last edited by dparvin; 09-12-2017, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Looking at removing the head gasket it doesn't look to bad. Do the camshafts and gears have to come off or can they remain just to change the head gasket. thanks Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X