Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NMEA comms with older Navman Fishfinder

Hi,

Being newcomer I didn't find any discussion topics regarding engine out put for Fishfinders. I own DF175 ym 2010 and old Navman Fishfinder 4500. I just found that this Fishfinder can show various fuel flow data such as flow rate, fuel level, fuel economy etc. I assume that this info will come out from engines ECM but obviously this Fishfinder is so old that it supports ONLY NMEA 0183.

Anybody having experience on this issue?

What would be preferable setup for this system?

I try to avoid purchasing totally new plotter/view as I'm getting the navigational data from iPad/Transas iSailor.

Does anybody have experience on showing engine data in iPad?

Thanks for your knowledge if exist!

The old Navman cant get engine data via NMEA2000. And that is what the Suzukis output via their engine interface cable.

Navman used to have a proprietary fuel flow sensor that was added to the fuel line then plugged directly into their units to give the fuel data that you mentioned. Unavailable these days.

You will, unfortunately, need to update to a new tech combo unit and then set up a Suzuki network to get engine data. See the sticky thread in the top section of this forum, tells you all you need to know.

A good combo GPS/sonar unit that is current technology and quite inexpensive is the Simrad GOxse series, either the 7 or 9" version would be best.

Comment

Engine Comms to iPad

Thnx Moonlight for your prompt reply.

Aside from the actual topic:

Have anybody brought data from Suzuki ntw into iPad. I think it should be possible with WLAN-connection from 2K NMEA.

As iPad can nowadays transfer almost any kind of data via different Apps - wireless, I wouldn't like purchase huge load of different instruments on dashboard.

Any experience?

Comment

No, sorry.

I have my iPad linked to my Simrad GO7xse by wifi, which means that I can mimic my Simrad screen on my iPad using a app provided by Navico, and it then allows me to control the Simrad from the iPad. But you cant have different screens on the Simrad and the Ipad at the same time.

But this doesnt do what you want which sounds like going direct to the iPad.

If you google the question, you will find some info, although I suspect that the costs of the components required may make it uneconomic.

You would still, at the min, need:

1. the Suzuki interface cable,
        2. a basic NMEA2000 network to connect it to (a NMeA2000 starter kit is all that is required)
        3. a NMEA2000 wifi module (Simrad make them as do several others), and then
        4. Some kind of software/app compatible with the Suzuki to enable the transfer and display of the engine data in a suitable format. It will also need to be able to configure the network - set fuel tank capacity, number of engines etc. It is a big ask to get all of that in a non-Suzuki app.....

I havent seen any reports of anyone actually doing it. Probably because other solutions are easier and simpler.

However, if you get the first 2 items in the above list, and add a Suzuki C-10 engine data display, you will get all the engine data that you need on the C-10, which fits into the same sized hole as your tachometer.

You could actually replace ALL of your analogue gauges with just one C-10 gauge, and free up space on your dash.

Plus, your old Navman wont last forever!
        Last edited by Moonlighter; 09-07-2017, 06:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X