No announcement yet.

DF 140 idle slows down with cover.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

did you check the batterie voltage with a running engine. i had a sort of same problem with 2 other suzuki's and in both cases the voltage regulator was broken. putting out a to low voltage and charge current. replacing the regulater fixed it.

Comment

Hi all,

I explained the issue to THE suzuki propeller guy in the place...
      Answer was without a doubt what you say.
      "some corrosion, exhaust gas goes back to engine, known issue, redesigned on newer engine"
      cost of repair...Dow ! basically for me about 40% of the price of the engine (bought second hand with 1000 hours).

the origin of the problem is probably my fault, because I waited too long to changed the "block engine anode"

To verify, THE guy told me to talk out the lower cover, I should see some black dirt due to exhaust gas.

Moonlighter,
      you said there may be some way to take care of that. I am very interested.

thank you all.
      Gildas

Comment

First thing is to see how bad it is. As I suggested earlier, take the engine cover off, then take both of the lower covers off as well. This is not difficult to do.

The place to look for the problem is near the fresh water flushing port.

The piece that causes trouble is a plug, it looks like a casting plug. It is made of steel and the engine where it screws in is aluminium. If the corrosion is only in the plug, you may be able to unscrew the plug and replace it with a new aluminium plug that can be purchased. However, more often than not, reports are that the damage may be such that the corrosion has gone further than just the plug, or the threads may be too damaged to accept a new plug.

If you see corrosion that has broken through the plug and extends to the surrounding engine holder, then the only options are to:

1. replace the engine holder which is a big expensive job as you already have been told, or

2. to find a tradesman who is experienced and skilled in aluminium welding, and have them grind the affected area out, and to then weld a heavy piece of aluminium plate over the hole. Many people have done this and have reported that it solved the problem for many years.

If you take some photos of the corrosion area and upload them we may be able to comment further.

I have attached 2 images, one shows the area to look at, and the other shows the plug after it has been removed and successfully repaired by welding it.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Moonlighter; 11-03-2017, 08:12 PM.

Comment

This is some great and useful help.
          I will check that asap take picture and will see.

Comment

https://youtu.be/o1guoA-nXP0

Look what i ve done on my df140 model 2006 1100 hours.

Comment

damn ! you were so right!

only the plug is corroded,
              don't yet how bad it is here is a photo.
              i will try to take it off

Comment

you were right !

another try for the pictures.
                Not so good, I now have to find a good guy to do the fix
                https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yue...CLFrtPJUw/view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KDD...t6eveKwOg/view

Last edited by gildas; 11-18-2017, 05:59 PM. Reason: pictures are missing

Comment

Hi Moonlighter

I may have find some good guy for the welding.
                  do you have a photo in a higher definition ?

again thanks a lot for the help

Comment

problem solved

Hi all,

I tested today, engine is running perfect with or without the cover after the welding.

case can be closed.
                    thanks again for the help

Comment

Good one! Happy boating
                      Regards, Martin
                      DF200 2007

Comment

Ok, glad it is sorted out. Sorry, I didnt see your earlier post re the photos.

Your photos of the corrosion are now great examples of the issue.

Comment

Working...
                        X