Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki DF4 flushing - devil is in the details

Hello!

I have bought a used Suzumar inflateable with a Suzuki DF4 outboard (year 2008). I am new to boating so I need to learn a lot...
    I have a question about flushing the motor after using in salt water.

1. I understand I should do it as often as possible, preferably after each use?

2. In the manual I can see a description of a flushing procedure where you can use a flushing hose adapter. They say that the water intake should be taped and that the motor should be running.
    I have read in multiple places and also here, that the motor should not run when using flushing ports. I understand that this motor can be an exception.

My question is: do I have to run the motor?
    Won't it be sufficient to just attach the hose and let the water run?
    I am not sure which parts will be correctly flushed...

3. I know the other way to do it is to use a bucket with water or a flushing bag.
    There is no option for muffs because the motor does not have side water intakes.

With a motor this small is it enough to put the lower part in a lets say 20L bucket when the motor is running on a stand and just wait a few minutes? Will I have to be careful to change the water with cold one or it will not heat up that quickly?

I ask all these detail because I currently live in an apartment and it is problematic to find a place with running water where I can connect a hose. I can go to a self-service car wash though and just fill the bucket and maybe add water as it goes.
    If it was possible to wash it without running the motor I could do it under shower...

Thanks for any suggestions!
    Patryk

follow the service manual is best bet
    however, yes the smaller engines need to be run to flush the motors
    the water pump is your source for circulating clean water through the engine
    larger motors have a fresh water port that one can plug a water hose into that then flushes out the engine
    one thing when you run this on a hose is to not over rev it, idle should do the work
    here is an alternative if available to you -- is there any fresh water rivers or ponds
    I have any number of spots that I can back my boat into - run the motor for 5 to 10 minutes and be done with it
    Art

Comment

For your situation a bucket will do the trick. Just let it warm up or remove the thermostat before flushing.
      Regards, Martin
      DF200 2007

Comment

Working...
      X