DF150 Prop Sizing Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF150 Prop Sizing Question

Boat is a 1999 Edgewater 20' center console that originally had a 200hp Optimax (maximum rated HP). The motor was blown when I bought the boat recently so I have no performance numbers with that motor unfortunately.
    I repowered it with a 2008 Suzuki DF150 that had 138 hours logged on the internal data recorder. The prop that came with the Suzuki that I have been using is a 14.25 x 21 x 3-blade aluminum.
    The boat has no trim tabs and is somewhat slow to plane (I'm estimating about 10 seconds with the motor trimmed fully down). It doesn't like to stay on plane under 4000 rpm and maxes out at 5500 rpm at about 36mph with the engine trimmed up as much as possible without ventilating (or is that cavitating?).
    According to Edgewater, the boat should hit 40mph with 150hp.
    I had the motor installed by a local Suzuki dealer and I would guess that it is installed high enough since once the boat is up on plane, I don't have much range before the prop starts ventilating. I also need to keep it trimmed almost fully down when making moderately tight turns.
    I damaged the prop today and would like to try a different sized prop that will hopefully allow the engine to turn up to the maximum rated 6000 rpm. I assume that reducing pitch by an inch or two will easily make that happen but I would also like to be able to cruise at a lower rpm than 4000 (for some reason I feel like 3500 is the right number but I may be way off base here). Will decreasing the pitch (but increasing maximum rpms by about 500) provide an overall increase in top speed?
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

My DF150 is on a Triumph 195CC 20' center console w/T-top, 8'2" beam. Boat/motor weighs about 2800#, has a 16° deadrise, 14" draft. My DF150 is propped with a Suzuki SS 16x18.5x3 prop. On plane in 3-4 seconds. Tops out at 5900 and roughly 40 mph GPS with avg. load.

Ventilating would be the correct terminology for what happens when you trim too high. You might read the sticky on mounting height. My DF150 was mounted way too low. I had to get a hydraulic jackplate to get it high enough on my boat. Makes a world of difference. I really don't trim out much at all with the motor at the correct height. Of course full down trim is at a negative angle relative to the longitudinal axis of the hull, so it is trimmed out a bit but only to get it to near vertical. Boat rides higher, flatter, and faster. Motor is louder, as you might expect, but MPG is better and ride more comfortable. I also have a True-Tracker stabilizer plate from Bob's Machine Shop mounted on the motor. True Tracker Stabilizer Plates The Ultimate stablizer & anti cavitation plate!
    Last edited by Harper; 09-18-2017, 08:41 PM.
    Mike
    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Working...
    X