fuel sender connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel sender connection

first time to the forum and thought i would ask first instead of trawling through the forum.
    just about to get a below deck fuel tank installed (using portables with the old motor) as i just bought a 2016 df80 with the square gauge,so is there a certain type of fuel sender to use and can i just connect the sender wires to some connecters in the wiring harness if so which ones .
    the setup also has the external gps unit but i dont just want to rely on the fuel used function to work out the fuel left in the tank.
    thanks

Simon, where are you located?

Reason for question is that there are completely different "square" Suzuki digital gauges in the USA compared to the rest of the world, and the network setup is also quite different.

Comment

Hervey bay Moonlighter

Comment

Ok, so you have the Aussie/rest of the world version.

Firstly, you will find that the "calculated" fuel used that the gauge shows is incredibly accurate, so much so that there is not even an option to calibrate it to improve accuracy - it just is not necessary. You just have to remember to reset it to full when you fill up.

So bear that in mind before you spend any further money.... if you can "dip" your new tank with a stick to confirm fuel level that would be simpler and cheaper!! Thats what I used to do, now I rely 100% on my Suzuki data from the engine.

Secndly, if you want a backup, then yes, you can connect direct to the new Suzuki gauge from the wires from your new fuel tank's electric tank sender unit

I have consulted my Suzuki expert from Bayside Suzuki Marine just now and he recommends that you ask your Suzuki dealer to connect it up and set it up when the new engine goes on.

Comment

the only way to manually check the fuel in the tank would be to undo fuel fill pipe ,but if you think it the sender is not required then thats a saving also i less leakage point .
          Also does the fuel indicator on the gauge work off a sender or "calculated fuel used " by the motor ?if it works off the latter that will be fine.
          The engine is already fitted ,but the fuel tank is replacing the existing kill tank for some extra floor space ,its just that the wiring loom has some spare connectors that i thought would take the sender wires as i didnt want to buy a another loom .

Comment

As I said, the fuel tank's electric sender unit wires can be connected directly to the Suzuki gauge.

Best to get your dealer to connect it up and set it up for you. He will show you the differences between where the calculated fuel level and fuel level from the sender are shown. Too hard to explain.

Comment

Moonlighter i tried to calibrate the tank to see what the ''calculated fuel usage "looks like after reading the sticky but got no further after it went from tank1/ empty /1/4 full /then just got calibration error .
              just connected to a portable tank at the moment.
              the gauge is showing ver 1.000 1.103 28167 if that means anything

Comment

If you are unbale to get your dealer to assist, the best I can do is to send you the installation manual for the gauge. This is not the owners manual, it is the manual dealers get to guide them on doing the installation.

It includes wiring diagrams to show the connection to fuel tank sender units.

If you send me a email via this forum, or pm me your email address I will email it to you.

You only calibrate the tank if you have the fuel tank connected to the gauge.

Comment

Working...
                X