Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differences - DF20A and DF15A Motors

Hi all. First post here

After a good few years without a boat, I've recently purchased a 3m Piranha poly hull and trailer. Pics attached.

I'm in the market for a 4-stroke outboard.

The DF15A should be a good choice. But I will have a fair amount of weight onboard counting my portly mass, batteries, electric bow mount supplies etc. I'm not interested in top speed, more so in getting onto the plane quickly and having the motor run in a sweet spot.

Apart from the obvious power output, the DF20A and DF15A outboards appear identical in all other specifications. Is it possible to turn the 15A into the 20A by loading a fuel and ignition map?

Good advice appreciated.
    Attached Files

Its hard to say. Depends on the model.

A clever member here discovered that the main (although perhaps not only) difference between DF40A and DF50 and 60 A was simply a restrictor in the inlet manifold, called by the strange name of a "silencer holder". Basically, the SH on the 60 was a open rubber ring, whereas the same part on the smaller motors was a disc with smaller holes in them to restrict air flow.

There were probably some other differences, perhaps slightly different mapping in the ecu and injectors, but significant hp gains were made by several people simply by fitting the SH from the 60 to the 40's and letting it breathe!

If you click on the "Purchase Suzuki Parts" at the top of this forum then go to the right page for the DF15/20A's, you could check to see if there is something similar on those engines that can be simply swapped. I had a quick look but couldnt see anything obvious, but it was only a quick look.

Getting the ecu remapped is almost impossible. If you ask a Suzuki dealer they cant do it, has to go to Suzuki themselves and they will charge $$$$$

If you can find someone who will do it for less thanthe difference in price between the 2 motors, let us all know!

Comment

Working...
    X