Suzuki 2.5 HP outboard pull cord won't pull

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki 2.5 HP outboard pull cord won't pull

I have had the motor for about 3 months and have used it twice and it worked perfectly. It has about 2 hours on it. The last time I used it I stored it inside my boat lying on it's side in the proper position (control handle down) for approximately 3 weeks. This weekend when I went to used it the pull cord wouldn't pull out more than about 6 inches as if the motor is seized up. Has anyone else had this issue and if so, how did you resolve it?
    Last edited by Puresteel55; 06-01-2022, 12:16 PM.

sounds like the throttle control is not in the neutral position.
    try moving the handle/control to forward and reverse back to neutral several times and then check the pull cord
    Art

Comment

It’s definitely in neutral. The prop turns freely.
      Also when I remove the spark plug it pulls easily ( so I know it isn’t seized up) but when I put the plug back in it locks up again.

Comment

By the way, thanks for the reply Art.

Comment

my Merc trolling motor has a shift rod from the engine to the gear box with a stop of sorts that lifts it or pushes it down
          if the stop is not in the right location then the locking mechanism on top of the flywheel prevents the engine from turning
          so ? without plugs and in gear does the prop turn when you crank it over? check both forward and reverse.

Comment

Working...
          X