Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I replace the Dexron II/III oil on my trim/tilt with power trim fluid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I replace the Dexron II/III oil on my trim/tilt with power trim fluid?

I have to refill the tilt, but I see that it has a red and rather thin oil. From what I know that means Dexron II/III automatic gear oil.

294820626_2367401910094805_3476011348690023826_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=ae9488&_nc_ohc=FcPDg3MnzpUAX8iq3TG&_nc_ht=scontent.fsvg2-1.fna&oh=03_AVKh3zp8odfkyzG27GAYMC4fSp_QAgFna_t0kW6WJzBS-Q&oe=6301ED63.jpg

Should I just top that up, or would it be better for long time durability of the system to use something like Quicksilver power Trim and Steering Fluid? I want this DF140 2012 to last until I can afford an electrical outboarder, and that will probably be another 5-10 years. For now they cost around 100 000 dollars, they will more than half during the next ten years, the manufacturer says.
    Mastif in Norway, with a 2011 MS Boats S6900, 2011/2012 Suzuki DF 140

I had to top off my Sea Star unit a few years ago. They make a Sea Star hydraulic fluid that I purchased. I think it comes in quart bottle. The manufacturer should have some maintenance schedule. I would not think it is something you need to do. It's not like a hypoid gear that sees energy between gear teeth. I am a maintenance fanatic, but I don't plan on changing mine. Fortunately my fill hole is on top of the steering wheel. Mucking around with a drain plug that is sealed and may have potential to leak if opened. Not me, it's not broken and I'm not fixing it.

Comment

I wouldn't bother replacing it. Just continue to use the Dexron fluid. It doesn't get hot in your trim/tilt mechanism like it would in a transmission, so it's likely to last forever.
      Mike
      μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Sorry, I forgot to say thanks for the answers! I ended up doing the swap since I had some time to kill one day. Empyting and filling it with a big syringe with a piece of rubber hose on it, running the engine up and down five times between each time I drew out all I could of the old/mixed fluid and pumping in new fluid.
        Mastif in Norway, with a 2011 MS Boats S6900, 2011/2012 Suzuki DF 140

Comment

Working...
        X