AGM Batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AGM Batteries

Was told Zuks do not run good With AGM batteries from my certified mechanic whom was told by the Florida Zuk rep. when he was in town trying to troubleshoot my RPM fluctuations (see my post). My boat is in the shop due to starting issues this past weekend. He mentioned that to me again. I called my boat manufacturer and they told me they put AGMs in all their boats and never had an issue. Does anyone have any experience or issues with AGM batteries?

after 2 years i replaced the normal battarie for an AGM on my 2009 DF70A. i never had a problem and the batterie is still strong after 6 years.

the only difference between a normal batterie and an AGM is a minor differance in max. voltage so a normal regualator on an outboard can't get an AGM batterie 100% full. we place a lot of AGM batterie's in boats . never a problem.

Comment

thank you for your reply. I have always had AGM batteries on all my boats because the ease of maintenance and more importantly the battery life. I hate paying for them but worth it in the end. This is my first zuk so I am perplexed. Anyone else have any experiences or issues?

Comment

AGM is still a normal lead acid battery, it's not like it's lithiums or something. Only difference is the acid is held by a fibre glass matting to keep it from spilling. Charging current is reduced a bit near the end for an AGM because boiling is bad for them since the bubbles will remain in place.

Other than that they charge, discharge and store the same. They usually offer higher CCA because the internal arrangement allows for a little more plate surface over a fluid based battery..

2 things come to light though, the Suzi rep was full of shit and the mechanic doesn't know much or he'd know the Suzi rep was full of shit.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Moore View Post
          2 things come to light though, the Suzi rep was full of shit and the mechanic doesn't know much or he'd know the Suzi rep was full of shit.

I needed a laugh this morning!

Spot on!

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Moore View Post

Ditto. Have used nothing BUT AGMs. Just replaced the originals after 8 years with Odysseys.
            Mike
            μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

I figured the zuk rep was full of shit and was grasping at reasons my RPMs were fluctuating for no reason (see prior post). Ummm, full of shit was the words the boat manufacturer used as they put AGMs in every boat the send out. Is it true that Florida only has one Zuk Rep for the whole state? If so, you now know who said this. If anyone knows him he needs to be called out immediately. I can't get anyone from zuk to call me back.

Comment

One more question, anyone know a good zuk mechanic in North East Florida? Advanced Marine told me to pick up my boat because it was too expensive to leave in their parking lot while they waited for the zuk rep. They were vapor immediately.

Comment

all the suzuki service manuals i have for four stroke.suzuki does not recommend (the use of maintenance-free,sealed,or gel-cell batteries is not recommended)i have heard of a few weird problems that was cured just by changing out the battery. i will not install one on a suzuki. and if one comes to me ,with a weird problem the battery is the first to go .even heard of a cell phone causing problems with motors. so these suzuki guys that are trying to help you and you think their full of shit.????? if you know more than them why don't you fix your own motor? them suzuki rep's see a lot.they work for suzuki sure they have to follow rules.come to me and have agm batteries and there's a problem and you don't want to change batteries you go some where else .i work on a lot of suzuki. maybe i am full of shit too but a know i can fix a suzuki. i work for my self not suzuki. ps.if you are looking for help don't tell the person that is helping you their full of shit!!

Comment

Been running a pair of sealed, maintenance free batteries for 7 years now.

They were installed by my Suzuki dealer. And still the original pair are going strong - touch wood!

No bad things have happened as a result.

Comment

not saying they they will not work just saying some time just changing the battery ,problems go away.weird things happen, just try to hook up the white wire to the +on the starter main cable on the 150hp and up. motor don't start right . 140 and below don't matter.same volt drop at the battery and the starter.???

Comment

Okay bezerk, have it your way. Thanks for the great insight.
                        Mike
                        μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

bezerk. i can tell you from personal experience. that not all mechanics are mechanics!!!
                          there are dealers out there that like to sell anything and they will change the oil but when it comes to actually having to diagnose a problem and fix it, they can’t do it— and when they tell you The owners says if your engine needs more work you will need to go find another dealer —

to me, not a ‘trained’ mechanic — there are two basic reasons changing a battery fixes a problem. 1). the battery was old, probably dying and putting in a new battery with full cca does the trick or 2) the terminals were not prepped right and because of corrosion not making a good electronic connection—replacing that battery fixes the problem and the dealer sells you a new battery in the process..
                          I would never tell someone they are full of sh.. even though you know they are.. you just never go back. and tell everyone you know that if/when you need help— find someone else and BTW - here is a name a real mechanic ...

And, my opinion, taking the white wire and wiring around the ignition switch is nothing more than trying to put a bandaid on a problem. It should be fixed correctly the first time. I wouldn’t want to put someone’s ECM at risk with a patch.

and here is a FYI re what the service manual calls for relating to batteries:
                          “Recommended battery: 12 V 100 AH (300 kC) or larger”
                          Service manual 99500-96J02-01E. DF150-DF175
                          there is no such wording that I can find to the type of battery that you quoted in your earlier post.. not saying it doesn’t exist. Just don’t see it in my manual
                          Art

Comment

jakess ask's a question i give him my experience on the battery.
                            (Okay bezerk, have it your way. Thanks for the great insight.)

this from a super moderator ? my way?? it's my experience!!!!
                            sorry i wasted my time.

Comment

I am not getting into a pissing match with you
                              you made a statement:
                              “all the suzuki service manuals i have for four stroke.suzuki does not recommend (the use of maintenance-free,sealed,or gel-cell batteries is not recommended”

The only reason I challenged your statement was the service manual for the Df150/175 models does not say that. It is silent as to the type of battery.

And, I misread your statement on the white wire - sorry.

Art

Comment

Working...
                              X