Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TDC on compression stroke

Question on my 2003 DF25 4-stroke triple

My manual tells me to be sure the top cylinder piston is at TDC on the compression stroke when installing the fuel pump.

Question is, how can I tell if it's on the compression vs exhaust stroke?

I'm studying up on how to pull the carbs, & the manual tells me I need to pull the fuel pump which, of course, means I need to be able to put it back in.

Thanks in advance for helping me with what might be a pretty elementary question.
    ---
    John

You can pull the valve cover and check that both valves are closed on that cylinder, indicating that it's on the compression stroke and not the exhaust stroke.
    Mike
    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Remove the top spark plug, place your finger over the spark plug hole. Turn fly when in direction when engine is running. You will feel pressure on you finger stop rotating when TDC marks line up.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jHydroman View Post
        Remove the top spark plug, place your finger over the spark plug hole. Turn fly when in direction when engine is running. You will feel pressure on you finger stop rotating when TDC marks line up.

Jim
        Jim, thanks. That makes sense + is simple. Simple is good!
        ---
        John

Comment

+1

And when you feel the pressure rising then you know that's the compression stroke. To be shure that your on top, put a straw or something like that through the spark plug hole against the piston and then you can find out what the TDC is.
          Regards, Martin
          DF200 2007

Comment

Much better idea than mine...
            Mike
            μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Thanks to all. One more piece of very useful info I now have in my bag. Damn, I love this forum! Just think: constructive input ranging from TX to WA to the Netherlands. What a database!
              ---
              John

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg66 View Post
                Thanks to all. One more piece of very useful info I now have in my bag. Damn, I love this forum! Just think: constructive input ranging from TX to WA to the Netherlands. What a database!
                Don't forget Australia.
                Mike
                μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Originally posted by Harper View Post
                  Don't forget Australia.
                  Oops, did I miss The Land From Down Under? Sorry .. Thought I was just referring to the folks who replied to my dinky little question. But maybe there's an Aussie who might live in the TX Hill Country?
                  Last edited by TxAg66; 11-02-2017, 09:26 AM.
                  ---
                  John

Comment

Working...
                  X