Suzuki Interface cable problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki Interface cable problem

I have twin 2007 300HP Suzuki outboards and thee 4 inch SMIS Lowrance gauges. I wanted to upgrade the interface cable software from version 1.8 to 2.5. Yesterday I hooked up a Lowrance Gen2 unit with a chip containing the software. Both engines were on the device list. During the upgrade it said upgrade failed, and now neither interface cables show up on the device list and the gauges are not reading anything. Did I screw this up somehow? Thanks for any advice.

I short, yep, you screwed up!

If you try to update the interface software when there are more than one engine interfaces on the network, the update will crash exactly as you have found. Because it is attempting to update both at the same time.

I have mentioned this issue many times and its covered in the sticky thread on this forum about Suzuki networking. Same thing applies when there are more than one of any device on the network - you MUST always turn off/disconnect so there is only one of each device on the network when uploading updates.

You MIGHT be able to retrieve the situation by unplugging one interface cable from the network backbone and then attempting the upload again. If that works, once that cable is updated, unplug it, and then reconnect the other cable and update it. Once they are both done you can reconnect both to the network. Then you need to configure each cable as normal and ithis can be done easiest on the Lowrance.

Also make sure the SD card you are using is no larger than 32gb capacity or it wont work. Even a 2gb card is plenty big enough for the update file.
    Last edited by Moonlighter; 08-29-2022, 07:05 PM.

Comment

I will give that a shot. I really appreciate the help.

Comment

Originally posted by jwilson1515 View Post
        I will give that a shot. I really appreciate the help.
        Let us know how it goes!

Comment

Again, thanks for the help Moonlighter. I remember reading you saying not to upgrade both cables at the same time, but I was not smart enough to remember when I did the actual upgrade which created the problem I have.

So yesterday I disconnected one of the interface cables and attempted the upgrade. The cable was not recognized as a device, and nothing occurred when I tried to download the software.

So I switched cables, and again the other cable was not recognized as a device. When I tried the download, it listed Device Name 0xC1648C00118C56D7 and download progress as 0%. The download progress stayed at 0% so obviously nothing was downloaded.

If nothing can be done on the boat, I am thinking of taking the cables somewhere to see if they can be upgraded... or I may need to start scrounging around for new cables. Appreciate the input.

Comment

I am assuming that you had the relevant engine’s key turned on when attempting to upload the software to that interface cable? If not, it has to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlighter View Post
              I am assuming that you had the relevant engine’s key turned on when attempting to upload the software to that interface cable? If not, it has to be.
              I have a single key that energizes both engines. To start the individual engines, I push a button per engine after the key is turned. So... I had the key in the on position for both which energized the engines and gauges. I did not push the buttons to start the engines.

Comment

If the update procedure that I detailed was unsuccessful, there’s nothing else that can be done. If the network does not see a Suzuki device, or even an unknown device, then the cables are probably bricked and irretrievable.

With the engine key on (where the gauges are active) go into the Lowrances menu settings/network/device list and open it, scroll down all the way and see if theres a Suzuki device listed or even an unknown or unnamed device. If there is, then theres still a chance to revive them.

I would have recommended interface software version 2.30 as better than 2.5.0 for those year engines.

So if they are listed in the device list, either as Suzuki devices or some unknown device, it would be worth another try.

Here is a link to 2.30, download it to the SD card (MUST BE NO LARGER THAN 32gb) and put it into the HDS. Locate the HDS files menu, find the SD card, select it and select upload. MAKE SURE ONLY 1 INTERFACE CABLE IS CONNECTED TO THE BACKBONE AT A TIME.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a7a20aa7t0...0_UPD.luf?dl=0

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to help me out. I will give this a shot.

Comment

Working...
                  X