Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021 suzuki Df60a rev limiter in forward?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 suzuki Df60a rev limiter in forward?

Boat boat new this year.. was set up poorly by dealer so been working through a few issues. But rev limiter comes on at about 30MPH lights flash, motor starts kicking until you back it off. I get this in neutral but in forward too? Never had an outboard do that.

Don’t rev the engine hard in neutral! No reason to do that.

There is a neutral throttle switch that prevents the engine being revved past 3000rpm in neutral. It does this by cutting spark, advance and fuel. It will run like a race car that’s on the pit lane limiter. Badly!

Doing a similar thing at 30mph is more than likely the engine is hitting the rev limiter, (the Rev warning light on the tacho will come on) and you might consider a prop with more pitch.

At 30mph, what rpm is the engine running at?? Rev limiter normally cuts in at around 6200-6400 depending on the model.

Last edited by Moonlighter; 09-04-2022, 06:00 AM.

Comment

I don’t ever rev in in neutral. No need.
      Im talking purely in forward position while driving down the lake.
      any other outboard I’ve ever used just max’s out where ever. Never had a limiter kick in.
      Unfortunately no tach on boat..

Comment

Well with no tach, at 30mph, there is every chance that the engine’s ecu is doing exactly what it should be doing, and is preventing the engine from damaging itself by over-revving.

Every over-rev is recorded in the ecu (forever) and will be seen on the SDS diagnostic computer. If you really want to verify that is what is happening, the dealer can hook it up to check.

This may be yet another example of the dealer’s poor work setting it up - by not supplying a suitable prop to match the boat with the motor.

You can get one of those “tiny tachos” for a few $ off ebay so you get a better idea of the rpm’s being achieved. Easy to connect up.

What size is the current prop that is fitted? On what size/weight boat?

If its a new engine go back to the dealer and tell them what is happening and you think its over-revving, and you want to try a prop with more pitch. I would suggest 2” more pitch because you need to get max revs down to about 6000rpm. Staying with the same make/model prop, every inch of pitch = 150-200rpm so 2” less should hopefully see the revs drop down from around 6400 to closer to 6000.

If you go to Suzuki USA website and select your engine, they have a number of boat tests there showing full details of the boat they are on, and the propellor they had fitted to get best performance, with a bit of luck you might find a boat comparable to yours and see what size prop they are running and compare that to your current prop.

Comment

Working...
        X