Gear Lube Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear Lube Oil

I have a 2017 DF 150. It is time to change my lower unit gear oil. My local dealer did not have Suzuki brand of gear oil. I know that's not required but my concern is all that was available was the following product: Yamalube lubricant Marine Gearcase Lube HD. It says it is for Yamaha V8 Outboard Lower Units. However, there is no specification information on the bottle and I can't find any on line. I assume its an 80W90 gear oil that is suitable for my Suzuki 4 stroke 150, but I can't find and details about this Yamalube product. Does anybody know whether this is an acceptable oil and has anybody tried it? If not, what should I be looking for? Thanks for any advice.

My service manual (DF25) says the following about gear oil:
    Quote:
    Recommended oil:
    Suzuki Outboard Motor Gear Oil or SAE #90 Hypoid gear oil

Endquote

Now, with that said, your much bigger engine & drive train may require something different. On the Yamalube, it may be fine but I personally like to see SAE specs listed. For that matter, I don't see why 90 wt gear oil from an auto parts store wouldn't work just fine.

What does your manual say?
    ---
    John

Comment

there are any mumber of good 90 weight -marine- brands of lower unit gear oil available
      on line searching yamaha marine gear oil
      the bottle label should indicate:
      Yamalube Marine gearcase HD
      SAE 90; 80W90
      Art

Comment

My manual calls for SAE 90 Hypoid Gear Oil which is GL5 rated. My current dilemma is due to the fact that the Yamalube bottle does not list any specifications on it and I hadn't been able to find out what the specs actually are. The bottle only says it is formulated for Yamaha V8 outboards and I didn't know if because of this there would be some reason I shouldn't use it in my 4 cylinder 150. However, I found some information this afternoon on a thread in a Yamaha forum that leads me to believe that the Yamalube is ok to use. In this thread an owner of a Yamaha 250 was trying to find an acceptable gear oil for his motor. He stated his manual says he should use the Yamalube Gear Lube HD or any other oil that is an SAE 90 GL5 rated oil. This makes me conclude that the Yamalube HD has those same qualities and should be fine for my engine. Thanks to each of you for taking the time to reply.
        Last edited by Pamlico Zuke; 11-12-2017, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Mercury Quick Silver. High Horsepower. You can pick it up at most automotive retailers.

Dark Blue, and the best stuff I have found,

QuickSilver High Performance Marine Gear Lube | Canadian Tire

Comment

Yamalube's Marine gear lube used to have the wt clearly marked on the front of the bottle (90 wt - 80W/90). But that product has apparently been superseded by the new Gearlube HD, as that original is no longer shown on Yamaha's website. I see no indication of weight on the front of the Gearlube HD bottle in pictures. Perhaps the info is on the back label. I've never known an oil or differential lube of any kind not to show the viscosity index somewhere on the container.
            Last edited by Harper; 11-13-2017, 12:50 AM.
            Mike
            μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

I always use the Quicksilver High performance gear lube. For Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda, Mercury
              Regards, Martin
              DF200 2007

Comment

Just be sure it is a GL-5 rated oil.

The GL5 has twice the high pressure protection of the GL4 rated gear oil.
                2017 Avalon 2485 LSZ-QL with Suzuki DF200A

Comment

Working...
                X