High Fuel Flow Reading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Fuel Flow Reading

Getting fuel flow (and consumption) reading about 10-20x higher than it should be. Get the same high readings every time (i.e. not intermittent).

Running 2009 DF175 w/ interface harness and NMEA2000 gauges. Recently replaced both batteries.

Engine starts/runs fine.

Tried disconnecting, cleaning connections and reconnecting. No change.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Is this a new installation of the Suzuki to the network? Or a new interface cable recently? Has it always shown fuel flow wrong like that?

Reason: typically, rediculous fuel flow like you have is due to running the incorrect engine interface software version. In theory, a 2009 engine should work properly with software V 2.9.0, although I have found that V 2.5.0 or 2.30 are safer choices and would recommend one of them.

What version interface software are you running? You can find the interface software version if you have a display such as a Simrad or Lowrance attached to your network. Or Suzuki C-10 displays. What display are you using to show engine data??

If you are using digital gauges, please dont just say “Suzuki digital gauges” as there are 3 different models depending on which country you are in and how old they are. Give details or post a photo please.
    Last edited by Moonlighter; 11-11-2017, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Thank you.

There has been no change. The engine and interface cable were installed new in 2009. I’ll try to find the version just in case.

Comment

OK, come back with more info.

Note: If you have the round SMIS monochrome gauges that are basically the same as Lowrance LMF400’s, unfortunately you cant see the interface cable software versions on them - the software version you can see on those gauges is only the gauge software. Which doesnt help us with the current issue.these are the ones I am talking about:

https://www.brownspoint.com/store/pc...e-35p65244.htm

With a bit of luck we might be able to sort this out. Let me know what else you have hooked up to the network apart from the engine and gauges - eg any GPS or sonar screens and if so what model. This will be vrey helpful info that might help us fix the issue.

Have you had the engine serviced by Suzuki dealer recently? Which may have given someone an opportunity to change the software version? Some people think this is doing you a favor but not in this case!

So, if are you saying that the fuel flow has only gone crazy since the new batteries were installed, then maybe as a result of the power loss, the network possibly has lost its configuration. So you can try to “unconfigure” and “reconfigure” the Suzuki cable and see if that gets it back on track.

To do this, you you Need to turn engine key on, then open network menu/device list on a gauge or a suitable MFD display (only Lowrance and Simrad displays such as HDS or NSS can do this).

Select the Suzuki. Should see an option to unconfigure. Do that. Then go back in and select it again and this time select configure. You then need to complete all settings - to select number of engines and location (would set this as 1 engine, location = centre) then set engine year, horsepower. Set fuel tank capacity. That should get it back to a fresh install. Now Put the engine in the water or on muffs and start up, check fuel flow at idle, this will tell you if it is sorted or not.
        Last edited by Moonlighter; 11-12-2017, 03:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HenryO View Post
          .The engine and interface cable were installed new in 2009. I’ll try to find the version just in case.
          Oftentimes the little module on the interface cable will have a sticker attached that shows the software version.
          Mike
          μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

@mike
            the point is that the dealer might have done an update from the interface. therefor we need to know the software version from the network readings

Comment

Originally posted by pniksnut View Post
              @mike
              the point is that the dealer might have done an update from the interface. therefor we need to know the software version from the network readings
              No that's not the point. If it's the same interface that's been there since installed new in 2009, then it has the original programming. All those updates (2.5-2.9) came out sometime after 2009. The 2.3 version of the interface was current up to 2011 models.

So the point is, pniksnut, that if he has no other means of reading the software version, he might just find it on the label. Begrijpen?
              Mike
              μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Hi everyone,

I found this thread trying to solve the same issue. I used my 2011 300hp outboard since New and had zero issues with the fuel flow. All of a sudden, the fuel flow is way off, saying I’m burning 100 gal/h.

I recently installed both high pressure and low pressure fuel filters, wondering if that could be the issue. I have tried resetting the gauge but with zero help.

I have two 4in smis gauges and one of them only shows one page. All of the buttons don’t work. I gave up on that gauge years ago, counting on the one that was working. Now this one is reading wrong.

Any info would be greatly. I will recheck all of the connections.

Comment

Well, to address the issue a bit more, I did have the same thing happen on My DF150 at one point. It happened to me as I was trying to do what I had hoped would be the final calibration of fuel flow using the multifunction gauge. I had already calibrated quite few times and it was still off enough that I thought I should be able to get it closer. For some reason (I still don't know why, but have moved on), it just went haywire on that last attempt. Everything I tried from that point was futile. It became apparent that it was not going to calibrate at that point, so I replaced it. That interface was ver2.5 or 2.7, I don't remember which now. But luckily I did have a ver2.3 lying around (it had been the original interface that I had installed), and I usedit, and am still using it. But it was my experience that once that interface went haywire, it could not be straightened out. Perhaps it could be wiped by a dealer and reflashed, I don't know. But i'm pretty darned sure that it would never be accurate by calibration with the instruments on the boat. No other readings on the multifunction gauge were affected, only the fuel flow. It was showing 6-7 gph at idle and 45-90 gph while running. Fluctuated wildly while running. .
                  Mike
                  μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Originally posted by Scotch View Post
                    Hi everyone,

I found this thread trying to solve the same issue. I used my 2011 300hp outboard since New and had zero issues with the fuel flow. All of a sudden, the fuel flow is way off, saying I’m burning 100 gal/h.

I recently installed both high pressure and low pressure fuel filters, wondering if that could be the issue. I have tried resetting the gauge but with zero help.

I have two 4in smis gauges and one of them only shows one page. All of the buttons don’t work. I gave up on that gauge years ago, counting on the one that was working. Now this one is reading wrong.

Any info would be greatly. I will recheck all of the connections.
                    The filter changes will have nothing to do with it. And the porblem is not the gauge, because it is just showing the data sent to it from the engine interface.

I would suggest you try unconfiguring and then reconfiguring the interface.

Turn key on. Go into gauge menu. Find the network menu. Then find the device list. Select the Suzuki and then select unconfigure, then exit out. Go back in and select configure, complete all the steps required, setting engine hp, year etc.

If that does not work, then the next thing to try is to reload the nterface software. But to do that, you need to have a Lowrance or Simrad combo display attavhed to the network. Let me know if you have such a display on your network and i can send instructions.
                    Last edited by Moonlighter; 11-15-2017, 03:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Harper View Post
                      Well, to address the issue a bit more, I did have the same thing happen on My DF150 at one point. It happened to me as I was trying to do what I had hoped would be the final calibration of fuel flow using the multifunction gauge. I had already calibrated quite few times and it was still off enough that I thought I should be able to get it closer. For some reason (I still don't know why, but have moved on), it just went haywire on that last attempt. Everything I tried from that point was futile. It became apparent that it was not going to calibrate at that point, so I replaced it. That interface was ver2.5 or 2.7, I don't remember which now. But luckily I did have a ver2.3 lying around (it had been the original interface that I had installed), and I usedit, and am still using it. But it was my experience that once that interface went haywire, it could not be straightened out. Perhaps it could be wiped by a dealer and reflashed, I don't know. But i'm pretty darned sure that it would never be accurate by calibration with the instruments on the boat. No other readings on the multifunction gauge were affected, only the fuel flow. It was showing 6-7 gph at idle and 45-90 gph while running. Fluctuated wildly while running. .
                      I would reload the interface software Mike. It can solve weird problems.

The other thing is that the interface hardware can be damaged - Art recently had issues with his and found that the memory module in the cable had a bad seal, had let salt water in, and corroded out the internals. Only solution was a new interface cable.

This is one reason why I always recommend that if you use the SDS connection on the engine, that you make up a long long adapter cable (can simply cut the standard short adapter cable in half and solder in an extension)

Make it long enough to run from the SDS connection on the engine, thru the rigging tube, and up to your dash. The interface can then be connected behind the dash where things are nice and cool, dry and away from the salt air. The lifespan and reliability of your interface will be greatly improved.

The adapter cables supplied by our national Suzuki distributor here in Aus are all about 20ft long for this reason.

Comment

Hey moonlighter,

Followed your instructions and unconfigured /reconfigured the gauge and it didn’t fix the issue.

According to the gauge, I’m running version 2.2. All of the other values seems to be correct , rpm , speed, temperature, etc..

The engine is a 2011 DF300.

Is the next step trying to reload v2.2 ??

Right about the time the fuel flow issue started, I hooked up a garmin 7612 xsv to the network. My old garmin 7612 worked fine, but the ne one has an updated software.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
                        Geoff

Comment

see diagram for right software version
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Scotch View Post
                            Hey moonlighter,

Followed your instructions and unconfigured /reconfigured the gauge and it didn’t fix the issue.

According to the gauge, I’m running version 2.2. All of the other values seems to be correct , rpm , speed, temperature, etc..

The engine is a 2011 DF300.

Is the next step trying to reload v2.2 ??

Right about the time the fuel flow issue started, I hooked up a garmin 7612 xsv to the network. My old garmin 7612 worked fine, but the ne one has an updated software.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
                            Geoff
                            The software version you see on the SMIS gauge is the gauge software version.

The SMIS gauge will not show the interface software version.

1. With the Suzuki engine key turned on, turn the Garmin on and go into its network menu. I am not familiar with Garmin but somewhere there you should find a list of devices connected to the Network. In that list select the Suzuki device and see what details it shows, we are hoping to find a software version for it. If you can find it, let me know what it is. For a 2011 engine it should be V2.9.0.

2. It does sound strange that the fuel flow issues started after the garmin was attached to the network. Have you tried removing it and checking fuel flow again to see what happens??

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlighter View Post
                              I would reload the interface software Mike. It can solve weird problems.
                              It's all good now, Grant. Didn't mean to indicate that I still have issues. Solved the problem a long time ago. The ver 2.3 is perfect. (would you believe the stupid automatic censor on this forum censors the word G-O-L-D-E-N?!?) HAHAHA
                              Last edited by Harper; 11-20-2017, 09:49 PM.
                              Mike
                              μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Working...
                              X