2013 250HP 4-Stroke Suzuki

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 250HP 4-Stroke Suzuki

I just purchased a used 2013 Blue Wave Pure bay with a 250Hp 4-Stroke Suzuki. The boat sat for a few months with the seller. When i went to run it, No water coming out the back. I feel plenty of pressure and when i put my finger to cover the outlet, it bubbles out the inlet side. No water at all put a lot of air. Would the Impeller be stuck?

Were you running it on the muffs, or with the boat in the water?

Comment

I launched and ran it in the water.

Comment

I jumped the gun. Needed to go to the basics. That was the exhaust and not the pee hole. When i just hooked up the hose to the motor i can hear the water pump/impeller make that humming noise. I located the pee hole on the side and it was clogged.

Sorry for that and thanks a bunch. I do have some more questions below.

Comment

Two things.

First one is i have some rusted bolts under my cover. Maybe i need to take some pics to see if that is a concern. A lot of residue around some parts. Looks like corroision???

Second thing is when i launched earlier, i was trying to make my engine pee. I would put it in neutral, and would go in reverse full throttle and foward also. It would go half way and start jumping up and down RPMS. Is that normal from the engine heating up because it wasnt cooling or another issue? The other thing that stood out was the fuel gauge jumping up ad down. Maybe should go digital???

Comment

Good that she is pumping.

I might add that any used motor, I always like to do a full service so I have a baseline for future work. Because often the records of the previous owner are not very good.

A full water pump kit including the housing would be on my list.

Just a note if you are new to Suzuki - you must not run the engine with the hose connected to the flushing port. Only run the engine if its on muffs or in a drum of water. And, the small round muffs work best.

Corrosion can happen on bolts unfer the cowl. If they are bad, replace them is a good idea. Then I like to give the whole engine under the cowl a good spray with lanoline spray. This repels water and protects from corrosion. And provides lubrication.

Your second point - these engines have over-rev protection built in, so that when run in neutral, the engines will not rev past about 3000rpm, if you try, they will miss and fart and carry on when the hit the limiter because the ecu is cutting spark and limiting fuel when it hits the limit. They sound like a race car with the pit lane limiter activated!

There really is no need at all to rev them in neutral anyway.

You dont need to touch the neutral throttle when starting the engine, just turn key to where it beeps, what for the beep to stop, then proceed to start the engine.

Final question - The standard gauges fitted to fuel tanks always bounce around so much they are never a reliable indicator of fuel levels.

Yes, you can go digital - there is a sticky thread towards the top of this forum that tells you how and what is involved. Gets you much more than just fuel use.

Comment

250HP 4-Stroke

Thanks for all the great info.

Comment

Hey buddy these are on my center console regular Suzuki Gauges. Which new digital gauges you would recommend? I see they have a few options. I have round gauges now so i have to go round or would be able to use the new Square Gauges? I want to know my fuel, speed, hours on engine, battery, temp, etc.........

Also want cost down.
                Attached Files

Comment

The new square Suzuki USA colour digital gauges fit in the same hole as the tacho. They would work with your motor.

Roughly, it will cost: ($US)

1. NMEA2000 starter kit $70
                  2. suzuki engine interface cable $110
                  3. SDS adapter cable - required if you also want to keep your existing analogue gauges, not required if you don’t $45
                  3. Suzuki colour digital gauge - around $350

Suzuki SUZ-990C0-00C10-MFD C-10 Color Multi-Function Display

To get speed, you need to connect a GPS to the network. What kind of GPS/Sounder do you already have in the boat? Model?

Comment

I have a Lowrance HDS 10.

So all i need is one square Digital gauge? It will take care of everything needed? I was hoping to stay around $500.00 upgrade. Now depending on how much the dealer will charge to install?

Comment

The one gauge will show everything. Not necessarily on one page, but will by easily scrolling between screens.

Here is the list of data sent to the network by the Suzuki engine, through the Suzuki interface cable:

RPM, alternator voltage, engine temperature, engine hours, trim, fuel flow rate, fuel used, seasonal fuel used, trip fuel used. Newer "A" series also get water speed. Engine diagnostics are also transmitted from later models.

Good news!! There is another less expensive option, since you have a Lowrance HDS10!!

And that option is to keep all your analogue gauges, and, instead of adding the Suzuki gauge, you can display all the abovementioned engine and fuel data on your HDS.

This is exactly the setup that I use on my boat!

You need the same list of components as per my earlier post, except you delete the gauge, and you will need the SDS adapter cable (item 3 on the list). That will keep your costs to under $250.

You could do the install yourself, its not very difficult. The hardest part is running a cable from the engine, thru the rigging tube, and up to the dash. The rest is just plugging a few connectors together and connecting a couple of wires to power the network.

On the HDS, you can show the engine and fuel data 2 ways. One way is to go to the “Info” page on the HdS and there will be the virtual dashboard page. It shows everything that is sent to it from the engine.

Another way is to add data overlay items to your favourite pages on the HDS. This adds whatever engine data items you want onto the HDS screens. If you are familiar with the HDS ability to add data overlay items to screens, it is super simple to add engine and fuel data to a page once you have the network up and running.

And, because you have the HDS connected to the network, the HDS will combine fuel data from the engine with speed from its internal GPS to give you fuel economy in mpg. It will also keep a track of trip fuel used, seasonal fuel used, and will also show you fuel remaining. Once set up and calibrated, it is super accurate.

For example, I have the figures for:

Engine temp
                      Fuel used
                      Voltage
                      Fuel economy

set up as data ovrlay items on my sonar page on my HDS.

Please do yourself a favour and have a read of the info paper that I wrote and is attached to the first post on the sticky thread on this forum that deals with Suzuki NmEA2000 networks.

It explains all of this and will help you to understand how it all works. It will also save us from answering questions that are already answered there! It was written specifically to help people who are considering doing exactly what you are contemplating.
                      Last edited by Moonlighter; 11-13-2017, 11:01 PM.

Comment

250hp Suzuki

*** thanks for taking the time to write all of that. It’s about time I will be able to use what I have and save some money.
                        I will use the sticky thread and find out more on it.

Thanks again,

Comment

Working...
                        X