Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2006 Suzuki DF200 shift without engine running?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 Suzuki DF200 shift without engine running?

I know that you're not supposed to shift the engine when it is not running. However, I had to replace my tilt trim switch. In the process of doing so, I wanted to be sure that I did not mess anything up with the shifter. I can take the throttle all the way forward and all the way back using the neutral warm up feature. If I try to put the boat into gear as I would normally while running, it doesn't hardly budge. I applied very little pressure as I know you're not supposed shift without the engine running.

Should the engine be able to easily go into gear and the throttle lever move with the engine not running?

You have to align the prop precisely to shift. It will not hurt to "force" lever into an in-gear position, but I would not push it all the way to the firewall. Just move the lever to where it is definitely in a forward or reverse gear (it won't shift, but will put a little tension on the cable). Then go back to the motor and turn the prop by hand, and you'll feel it click into gear. It's not actually in gear until you turn the prop to align the gears.
    Mike
    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

That's good to know that it is normal for the throttle to not go into gear and have much travel when the engine is not running. I am glad trying to put it into gear does not cause damage either. Thank you for your help!

Comment

Working...
      X