Rev limiting with prop removed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rev limiting with prop removed?

2003 DF 25 4-stroke triple, 3 carbs, remote PTT ..

I've been doing some extended running with muffs trying to get insects flushed out, getting Seafoam run through the carbs and, in general, just enjoying watching the motor run again after a long period of storage.

With my remote, I can't advance the throttle without putting it in gear so I've been using the carb linkage.

Yesterday, I pulled the prop so I could see if the engine stayed running when I put it in gear. It did, no problem.

When I tried to advance the throttle with the remote, however, there was no response. Remember, this is with the prop removed.

Is that normal? In other words, is there something "built in" that detects the absence of a prop & prevents the remote from advancing the throttle? Or is this more likely something I probably need to do but have been avoiding: pulling & rebuilding the carbs.

I had to ask .. Thx in advance for your thoughts.

On a lighter note, the engine starts on about the third try .. stays running if I jockey the choke for a few minutes & then it smooths out. I've got about 15-20 hours running the Seafoam through it. Progressively easier starting, smoother idle & throttle response. Seafoam may not keep me from having to rebuild the carbs but I'm convinced it's helped. Will for sure be using it in my gennies.
    ---
    John

I doubt that there's any way the prop removal would prevent throttle control from the remote, John. In fact I'm sure there's no connection.

I think you still have an issue with your hookup of the remote to the motor. Did you get the shift linkage problem straightened out?
    Mike
    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Originally posted by Harper View Post
      I think you still have an issue with your hookup of the remote to the motor. Did you get the shift linkage problem straightened out?
      Don't know for sure that there's a problem with the shift linkage, Mike. With the prop off, it seemed to shift into FWD & REV just fine. Smooth, no chattering & I could see the shaft spinning.

I really didn't think there was any connection between the removed prop & the lack of throttle response but thought I'd ask. I'll get the engine sides off in the next couple of days & get a better look at the linkages .. Will report back.

Thx, Mike
      ---
      John

Comment

Working...
      X