Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki 2003 4-Stroke 6 Cylinder 3.5L 225HP Outboard Throttle Control Issues

Hello All,

I have recently purchased a boat, with the above engine throttle control not realizing that it is out of gear upon startup, on occasion. This issue has only just started occurring, we haven't owned the boat for long at all.

I have recorded a video of the issue on Youtube in the attached link.

Does anyone have any ideas about what the cause could be and what I might need to do to fix it?

The issue appears to be related to the throttle control as the outboard itself runs well and fires up straight away when the throttle lets it. Or am I doing something wrong here that is causing the outboard to not fire up when turning the key?

Appreciate any tips or advise on what the issue might be or what to do next.

Cheers!

There is a neutral start switch in that throttle binnacle. If its loose or the linkages are not adjusted correctly then it will do exactly that - prevent the engine from cranking. So wriggling the gear lever can eventually get it in the right position to work and allow the engine to be started.

Near the top of this forum there is a link to “Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts” in the blue header line, you can click on this link and then input your engine details to find parts for your engine. You might have to do some digging there to find your engine and control box but it then will have a diagram that shows you a detailed view of the control box and will show the switch concerned.

Bottom line you probably need to pull it apart and find out whats going on in there with that switch.

Comment

Thanks, Moonlighter,

That is a good start, gives me a lead on something to chase at least. I figured it was something in the throttle, so it might be a matter of pulling it apart and taking a look once I have the diagram and checking if it is that switch.

Appreciated!

Comment

Working...
      X