Suzuki DF6A Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki DF6A Question

I would like to ask you a question regard the Suzuki DF6AS.

I noticed that when I fully tilt down the outboard, it not locked in the down position, so I can tilt up again without pressing the lever. For example when I tilt up on 1st position ok it locked, on 2nd position it locked and on 3rd it locked and to fully down again I pressing the lever and it tilting down. But the problem is to tilting it up from the down position, I can tilting it up without pressing the lever because it not locked and I don't know if it's normal or not, and I don't know if is it ok to drive a boat without the outboard motor locked in the down position. Thanks.

My old motor has a lock button but I only use it to protect the transom while driving with the boat on the trailer. It keeps the motor from bouncing up and down going over bumps adding stress to the transom. With the motor unlocked, I only have a problem when in reverse and high throttle the motor can rotate/lift out of the water from the thrust. Staying unlocked in the water, the motor can kick up if you hit something going forward which would reduce damage as far as I know.

Maybe a professional will chime in with other ideas.

Comment

2010 DF6 Suzuki Marine Outboard SWIVEL BRACKET Diagram and Parts
      part nbr 11. reverse lock

I have a Merc 9.9 kicker motor. on the shift rod is an adjustment to the lockdown bracket that locks the drive shaft housing to the mounting bracket

so it would be my guess a small adjustment to the parts in the schematic is all that maybe is needed
      Art

Comment

I agree with Gordon, on those small motors, i always used to run them NOT locked down, that way, they can kick up if you hit something, and its quicker to tilt them up when you want to.

The downside of this approach is that you need to be REALLY careful if you put the engine into reverse, not to give it too much throttle, because it will lift the leg and spinning prop up and out of the water, which is obviously a danger to anyone/anything nearby.

Comment

Thanks guys for the info. Now I know from you that I'm safe to driving the boat without the outboard lock except reverse, but I checked and when engaged on reverse it locked automatically.

But I would like to know if it is normal or not from the factory that the Suzuki DF6A not lock automatically in the normal down position.

Comment

Working...
          X