DF90A 2022 - Hit a rock and it cracked threads on lower gear oil drain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF90A 2022 - Hit a rock and it cracked threads on lower gear oil drain

New to the forum, created this is hopes of some advice on what can be done, if anything on my new DF90A Suzuki.

I was out on a new stretch of the river goose hunting last weekend and on the way back to the ramp in the dark I hit a wing dike. The rock skidded along the bottom of the lower unit. I got back to the ramp and saw some gouges that went over the gear oil drain plug.

Well the next morning I go out and see a small puddle of milky gear oil coming out of the plug. I took the plug out and drained the oil, and intended on putting a new plug and gasket in. I let it drain over night as it was pretty cold out and viscous. This morning I found that the threads for the lower plug are cracked, and is why water was allowed in and oil was dripping out. It's going to take more than a new plug and gasket, as the crack goes to the outside edge of where the gasket seats, and possibly up a little in the recessed hole where the plug head sits.

Attached is a photo showing the crack. It looks like file sizes are limited to 2mb, so it looks grainy. Not sure if there is a better way to get the clear photo up here.
    CaptureDF90ACrack.PNG
    I don't know of anyway to fill the crack without deforming where the gasket seats. Not sure if a machine shop can drill it out and tap it for a larger plug size, or if I will have to purchase the lower housing.

I would hate to know the lead-time for the lower housing let alone the cost.

I swear I could tear up a ball bearing.

If anyone has solved this problem before or has any suggestion I would appreciate it. I will call the local Suzuki dealership Monday but assume they will just want to sell me a housing.

Thank,
    Thomas

It looks like that gear case is available from a few online stores, for about 1200 bucks, plus taxes and shipping. I would really like to come up with a solution for repairing.

I will talk with Suzuki and see what is immediately behind that plug hole and if it can be drilled and retapped without damaging anything internally.

I don't think anything as simple as some RTV gasket maker around the threads and crack will prevent water from being forced in while running 30+ MPH

Comment

Do you have comprehensive insurance on the boat/motor?

Find out if they cover you for damage from striking underwater objects. My policy does and would cover this (expensive) repair. I strongly suspect you need a new gearcase.

Comment

I do have insurance for the boat, motor and trailer through State Farm. I am not certain if this would be covered or not, but I reached out to my agent to check. Thanks for the response

Comment

I talked to my insurance agent and they do cover this. I took the motor in to the dealership and they told me that it needs a new lower gear case, prop shaft and prop. They plan to get a complete lower unit, as it is cheaper than just getting the housing and putting the old parts in it. However, Suzuki apparently doesn't have complete lower units available and they don't know when they will be in. Estimate is about $3,200

I asked if I can get a lower housing (available within a couple days) and they swap the parts from the old into the new. They said it would cost an extra $1000 to do that, and that my insurance probably wouldn't cover it.

Not sure what direction to go. Do all major outboard manufacturers have terrible or non-existent lead times?

Comment

Just get the quote/report from the dealer for the job to supply the housing and move the guts across to it.

Send to insurance company. They have no idea of what’s required to effect the repair, and if that is what the dealer says is required to put it right, thats what they have to pay for. Unless they are talking about writing it off??

Yes lead times on “out of the ordinary service parts” are all crazy at the moment.

Comment

Thanks for the response. I asked them for a price, but they acted like it wasn't an option for them to do that due to my insurance. They were waiting to hear back from Suzuki for lead time on a complete lower unit and are going to call me back.

They don't have my insurance info, so I can still do what you suggested through another dealer. There is another one about an hour away that has been good to me in the past, and I think does a ton more Suzuki work.

If it is as difficult as they are eluding to, it might not be a bad idea to get the more experienced dealer anyways.

Comment

Working...
              X