2021 df300

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 df300

This is mostly a curious question and probably without an answer but here goes: When my engine was first installed, every time I'd turn the battery selector switch to OFF, there would be a triple, double-toned beep from, I think, the SMG4 display, the throttle binnacle, key switch or start/stop switch (they're all close together so I could never tell from which it came). This would happen when the key switch was in the OFF position and, obviously, power off. Oh, and the engine didn't even have to have been started to get the beeps when the battery selector switch was turned off. I assumed this was normal operation so never thought much about it, especially since there were no other indications anywhere since the SMG4 would shut off with the key off. I read the OM and service manuals to see if the triple beep was mentioned but I didn't find any reference to it.

I just replaced my set of old AGM batteries (650 CCA Duracells) with a set of larger, size 34, 800 CCA AGM batteries, since that's what the OM calls for this engine, and the triple beeps have disappeared! The engine works well and there're no changes that I can see or hear. I ensured all the battery cables and wires were reinstalled to the same battery posts they came off of (I took before photos) and rechecked afterwards. Nothing else has been replaced.

So, my questions are:
    1. Is the triple beep an alert of some kind?
    2. If so, what is it for? and
    3. Why did it go away with the larger batteries?

Like I said, just something I'm curious about, thanks!
Working...
X