Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMG4 and analog gauge

Hi all,
    I use a DF175 from 2020 with Multi-Funktion SMG4 Gauge. It works.

Question……is it possible to use analog gauges with it together?

I saw at engine two connectors. One for the SMG4 and the other for analog tachometer.

Can I use it parallel to the digital one?

Cable??

Thanks for answering.

In theory, it is possible. Dont know if anyone has tried to do it though…. I expect that you would need to run a extra engine harness from the other ecu plug up to the console. Expensive.

A better question though would be - why the heck would you want to even consider doing that??

The SMG4 gives you more and more accurate info than an analogue tacho can ever do.

If you want a second engine data display, you can easily add another digital display, I can explain how to do that if you want.

Perhaps if you told us what the issue is or what you are trying to accomplish then we can make better suggestions to sort it out.

Comment

I have a RIB boat with a steering console.

The SMG 4 is built in such a way that I can read all the data when I'm standing.

However, when I sit in front of the control panel, I don't see it.

this point of view I have the previously built-in analog round instruments that I would like to use in addition.

Comment

I recommend that you forget the analogue tachometer option.

Is the SMG4 connected to your chartplotter/sonar display?

If it is, there will be a NMEA2000 network to enable the connection. If not, it is easy and relatively inexpensive to set up a NMEA2000 network behind the console and connect both the SMG4 and your chartplotter to the network. You can buy a “NMEA2000 network starter kit” for about $70 that has all the parts needed to set up the network. You will just need one extra T piece to connect the SMG4.

Once there is a NMEA2000 network that SMG4 and your chartplotter are connected to, you can also display critical engine info on that screen, either on the gauge page, or, nearly all displays will have the ability to show simple items such as rpm, fuel flow rate as figures on the screen. If you only really want to show engine rpm, which is all that you would get with the analogue tachometer, this option would be very easy to achieve.

If you tell me which make and model chartplotters you have, I may be able to tell you how to do this. I am very familiar wth Lowrance and Simrad displays and its easy to do on them.

Another option with NMEA2000 is that you can add another small engine display - consider a Simrad IS-35, or a Garmin GMI-20.

The Simrad will fit into the same size hole as a tachometer. When its connected to the same network as the SMG4 it will display all engine data from SMG4 except fuel used.

Comment

I am already using the NMEA2000 network.

The SMG4 works there together with a Garmin 721xs with sonar and easyT**3 from weatherdock.

Works great.

the idea of ​​the analogue gauges only came about because they already exist and simply no longer have any function.

Comment

You wouldn't have to buy a second harness, just run extra wires and the old gauges will work fine.

Comment

Working...
            X