Intermittent NMEA2000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intermittent NMEA2000

United States DF200AP with C-10 and Simrad GO9 has been working perfectly for the 3 years I've owned it. Now the NMEA2000 interface seems to be dropping out intermittently. No hardware or software changes have been made. Any thoughts on where I should start?

1. Make sure the network power connections are good. Eg check the positive and negative wires where they are connected undo, clean, reconnect and tighten. There is normally a fuse holder in the pos wire so check the wires entering and exiting the fuse holder, pull the fuse, make sure its clean and tight.

2. if thats all good, check the Suzuki interface cable and its connections. Eg check that the interface connection to the T is tight, and while you are there check that all the T connections in the backbone to each other are tight.

Then check the interface cable connection to the gauge harness, unplug it, check that the pins are straight and no wires are loose/broken at the back of the plugs.

Lastly, With the engine key turned on, feel the module in the interface cable. If its hot, its a sign that it is failing and the interface cable then needs to be replaced. Luke-warm is OK, but nothing much more than that. If you need to replace the cable, engines from 2013 onwards need the latest interface with part number ending in -357. New cable needs to be configured when installed.

3. some interface software versions were unstable. Open the network device list, select the Suzuki interface and open it, you will see the software version listed there. If its version 3.5.0 its the unstable version. I can send you a later version 3.5.4 that is known good and you can upload it and it will fix the problem. I can send detailed instructions on uploading it.

Comment

I was lucky enough to have no data first thing when I turned on my system today. I unscrewed the cable from the tee and re-attached it and the data came right up. The connector was, and is now snug and the o-ring looked good. Are these connections prone to get corroded?
      The module was room temp. I'll check it again after the engine has been on a while.
      My interface version is 3.5.0

I really appreciate the troubleshooting tips, and your offer to send the software update!

Comment

Could be a combination of things going on there.

Simply moving the interface cable may have made the connection at either end come good so check the wires at the other end anyway….. or, you could have a failing T piece in the backbone…. Or it may just have been a coincidence that the data came good….. So I would still be checking all those wiring connections, just to be safe.

Anyway, its a fairly good chance that updating the software will fix the issue, because as I mentioned, 3.5.0 was a known unstable version. Below are instructions on how to upload version 3.5.4 and a link to download it from my dropbox folder. Its usually easier to do the upload via the Simrad than via the C-10, provided you can get easy access to the sd card reader.

This upload can be done using a Suzuki C-10 gauge - you copy the update software file to a usb stick and connect it to the C-10) or with any Simrad NSS or GO series MFD or any Lowrance HDS or Elite Ti/FS model, just download and copy the update file to a micro sd card that will fit into the MFD, again it must be no greater than 32GB capacity or the MFD cant read it.

Now, the upload procedure is as follows:
        1. put the SD card into the Simrad display or connect the usb stick to the C-10.
        2. Turn the engine key to on where it beeps (but you dont need to start the engine)
        3. Open the C-10 or Simrad/Lowrance MFD menu, find the files/storage page and locate the usb stick or sd card, open it, and select the software update file.
        4. Select upload. Wait while it uploads, you will see a update progress bar as it uploads. It can take a minute or so to upload. Exit when its done.
        5. Then go into the system menu again and find network/devices and then open the device list. Locate the Suzuki interface that was just updated. Select configure, it opens a page showing details including the software version. So make sure that the software version listed now matches the version you uploaded.
        6. Also, make sure that the engine location setting is correct, if not, set it using the dropdown on that page.
        7. Do not attempt to change the hp or year settings. These are auto detected on all software versions later than 2.30. Version 2.30 is the only one that you need to manually set the hp and location.
        Thats it, done.

Here is a link to download the version 3.5.4 software. Dont try to open it, just save it to the PC desktop and copy to the usb or micro sd card.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8xntlvtkou...5-04.swup?dl=0

Comment

Working...
        X