New issue: DF140 misfire at idle, smooths out with throttle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New issue: DF140 misfire at idle, smooths out with throttle

Seems like I’ve had a few good years without issues but got one popping up again. Motor is a 2003 DF140, 530 hours, engine holder was replaced in 2016. Prior to replacing the holder was never corroded all the way through, but attempted to remove the steel plug which tore out the wall so it got replaced then.

Performed normal maintenance this spring including new plugs, oil change, anodes, impeller. Tan fine the first few times out but last two times it’s been a little more trouble to start, and has a definite miss at idle a good bit of the time. Several times I’ve had to advance the throttle in neutral at the dock to keep it running and allow it to warm up.

Once away from the dock, bring up the throttle and it will stutter and stumble until 2000-2500 RPM and then all 4 cylinders kick in and it takes off and runs great all the way to redline.

I know there are likely a dozen possible causes but short of firing the parts cannon at it I’d like to try and rule things out piece by piece. First things I’m thinking are coil and valve timing. I would not be shocked if the tappet clearances have never been checked/adjusted. I know I haven’t done it.

Here are a couple pics of the plugs which are 6 engine hours old. Clearly #2 has something going on, and looking inside the cylinder with a pen light shows a similar tale of “looks different.” But I don’t know if I might have a cylinder issue leading to poor spark, or a spark issue leading to poor combustion and thus a cylinder with extra carbon or the like. Anyway I plan to dig in more soon including taking pics with a borescope, just thought I would poke this forum for any good leads. Will update as I go.

Attached Files

Updates: Not entirely sure how much I trust this test given the results, but did a compression test following the steps in the manual page 2-23:

Cylinder 1: 170psi
    Cylinder 2: 172 psi
    Cylinder 3: 154 psi
    Cylinder 4: 190 psi

Additionally, when I removed the compression lead from cylinder 4 it was wet, and smelled/tasted like water, not fuel. I know with the presence of some water, that could explain the higher compression but still doesn't explain why it would be wet in the first place. I did an additional test and with all plugs out and a hose connected to the flush port, no water comes out of that (or any) cylinder.

I know those results, if accurate, are not good, but I'm not sure what they would be telling me especially being I know cylinder 2 is the one not firing at idle.

I suppose a good next step is pull the valve cover and check tappet clearances.

I did order a replacement (used) pair of coils as well, just to have on hand should I need them.

Comment

Update again. I for sure have water getting into cylinders 2 and 4, verified by hooking a water hose to the flush port and turning the engine over with no plugs installed. Not sure if there is a certain order of operations for what to check in what order, knowing it could be anything from a head gasket to a corroded intake manifold water jacket to a corroded crankcase water jacket to a damaged/corroded block/head/piston....or maybe something else I'm not thinking about. The fact that I have not noticed water in the oil during an oil change leads me to believe it's not a crankcase intrusion, so something on the top end and perhaps most of the water gets converted into steam before having a chance to make it to the sump. So, start with the intake manifold water jacket and move on to the head gasket next? Anything else I should be looking at based on these symptoms and the video?

I feel like the fact water is specifically pumping out of 2 and 4 should be telling, I’m just not sure what it’s telling. If it’s the head gasket wouldn’t that have to mean it’s failed in two spots?

Also, I know the oil cooler is a popular failure point but believe that typically leads to oil leaking out into the water discharge, not water entering the oil system, that about right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EieKd6O2VeY
      Last edited by Auburn02; 07-05-2023, 10:25 PM.

Comment

DF140 bore.jpg My Old 2002 df140 with a similar problem

Comment

Working...
        X