DF250 spark plug hole repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF250 spark plug hole repair

I took my boat out a couple weeks ago to run and had a knock that I hadn't heard before coming from the motor. Turns out I had a spark plug come loose that ended up blowing out. Boat mechanic called yesterday to tell me this. He said about half of the threads or so are missing now, but the plug still torques down ok and the depth is ok as well. He thinks it "should" be ok, but obviously no guarantees. Their option to fix it is to replace the head, which is several thousand dollars.

I used to have a Ford F150 with the 5.4 Triton motors that would do the same thing. I had a couple plug holes repaired with Time-Sert inserts and they held up really well. I am wondering if anyone has ever done something similar on an outboard? Time-Sert makes an insert in the size for the plug (M14x1.25), just not sure the logistics of actually doing one on these motors. Any advice/suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Many years ago had a Johnson 2 stroke that stripped a plug hole. We had a helicoil inserted and never had another issue.

I dont see why something similar wouldn’t work.

Comment

Yes, no reason at all that the TIME-SERT inserts wouldn't work on you outboard. Go for it!
      Mike
      μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Working...
      X