No announcement yet.

New guy here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks D'oh999. 90% of the time it will be just 2 people in the boat and not loaded heavy. I imagine somewhere around 2500 lbs including motor, gear, ppl, fuel, etc.

Comment

Chowda,

Here is my 2 cents- for whatever it is worth.

We repowered our '94 Glastron 17' runabout five years ago with a new DF140a. Removed from the boat was the original '94 Johnson 120HP two-stroke. Loaded down with fuel and junk, our boat weighs considerably less than the 20' center console you are considering. It is also much smaller.

We still have the boat, and I have put 75 hours to date on the 'Zuke- mostly family water sports and fishing (ski & fish package).

I realize this is apples to oranges with regard to hulls, but here are my findings with our boat-

In most cases, the performance of the new 140 Zuke exactly matches the old 120 Johnson. Holeshot with the 'Zuke is worse, and that is measured by me at end of a ski rope on a deepwater slalom start. I have played with prop selection and motor height ad naseam, with only marginal results. No question that old 120 Johnson (2.0 liter two-stroke V4) had more grunt out of the hole.

Top end improved about 1 mph with the Zuke. Having said that, with just me in the boat and minimal fuel, it is still only a 42-44mph GPS boat. I really don't think you will see more than high 30's with your prospective boat loaded down.

Fuel consumption is where the new motor shines brightly. Compared to the 120 Johnson, the new engine burns less than half the fuel of the old one.

So here is the question- if you asked me if I am completely satisfied with the new 140 Suzuki, I would say no. The holeshot and power has been less than what I was expecting from a motor supposedly 20HP more than what I had. If your follow-up question is, "do you think it will be acceptable on my 20' center console?" I would respond with, "on a 2500lb boat, probably not. Based on my personal experience, it's going to be on the doggy side..."

Our motor hasn't been without it's faults, either. Ours was a very early DF140a made in 2013. We are on ECU #3, and the second throttle body so far- all covered under warranty, of course.

Best of luck with whatever you choose.

Comment

I have a 90hp on a boat rated for 115hp.
        With 2 people on the boat, not a problem.
        With 3 people, a cooler, and gear it's tough to get on plane.

Like many others I wish I had the 115.

Comment

I made my decision yesterday. I put a down payment on a SeaArk 2072 vfx deluxe center console with a white DF150. It should be ready to pick up in April. The same package with DF140 was $1300 cheaper. I didn't want to regret my decision so went with the bigger motor. Thanks to everyone who responded to my initial post.

Comment

Mike
            μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Congrats!

A 150, is basically a detuned 200, A wise choice, it should scream. I am thinking close to 50 mph. propped correctly.

Suzuki Marine - BoatBuilders

Comment

How much does the 150 w/25" shaft weigh? The 2016 brochure says 485 lbs but the Suzuki website says 522 lbs.

Comment

Good question. They are debating it right now on the THT.

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating...50-weight.html

I would go with Suzuki's numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Chowda View Post
                    I made my decision yesterday. I put a down payment on a SeaArk 2072 vfx deluxe center console with a white DF150. It should be ready to pick up in April. The same package with DF140 was $1300 cheaper. I didn't want to regret my decision so went with the bigger motor. Thanks to everyone who responded to my initial post.
                    $1300 more for a DF150? That is a no-brainer. Excellent choice; enjoy the motor!

Comment

It was over $3000 for me. I still almost did it.

Comment

On the boat I'm buying would would the weight going from 485 to 522 lbs (37 lbs) make a difference? Boat weighs 1250 lbs and will have floatation pods on back. Plus I'm having them move the console forward. The 2 trolling motor batteries will be housed in the console and the 28 gallon tank is up front also. The dealer has a couple of black 2015 and 2016 (brand new) df150s and they show the weight as 485 lbs. I could ask for one of them instead of a porky new white one.

Another question for you...in this day and age with lighter, stronger materials and everyone wanting more power and less weight, how are they getting by with making heavier motors with the same power? It seems like taking a step backwards.

The boat will be configured like this one:
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Chowda; 12-17-2017, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by D'oh999 View Post
                          Good question. They are debating it right now on the THT.

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating...50-weight.html

I would go with Suzuki's numbers.
                          That is my post on THT

Comment

Why would you need a dual axle trailer for a boat that light.?

Comment

Originally posted by wilbur1 View Post
                              Why would you need a dual axle trailer for a boat that light.?
                              I asked that same question on different forums. I was told that at speeds over 70mph a single axle could get squirrely and that a tandem just tows better in general. I decided to buy once, cry once. Rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I will be towing it 800 miles one way to TX and back every year. It was only a few hundred more.

Comment

Indeed, the dual axer drives so much better. The only down side is that it's hard to maneuver it by hand.
                                Regards, Martin
                                DF200 2007

Comment

Working...
                                X