overheating df140

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overheating df140

my (new to me) 2001 df140 overheated, shut down and I had to be towed in. Mechanic says the wiring harness cooked. he suspects the regulator and resistor will need to be replaced. the ECM which he could not get diagnostics from (due to wiring harness meltdown) may also need to be replaced. Would the overheating get so bad that it could ruin the wiring harness? All I've read indicates the motor shuts down when overheating occurs. Do I need a second opinion?

Hi Andrew5014
    Remove both lower side covers and inspect the port side engine holder, just above the flush port for corrosin, escaping exhaust may be what cooked your wiring harness

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. I removed the wire harness and checked the plug which had some corrosion. I filed the corrosion off but the plug looks very solid. Even the set screw recess showed no sign of exhaust leaking. Anyone have any other ideas.

Comment

Can you identify if the harness meltdown started from overloading the wire (such as a short circuit) or some heat source that contacted the insulation?
        If is from a short circuit you want to make sure this is corrected before you start replacing damaged parts.

Jim

Comment

Working...
        X