Power tilt switch failure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power tilt switch failure?

Has anyone experienced a failure of the power tilt switch on the binnacle?

So the story is, DF30AT, recently went through a white wire failure, which I attributed to corrosion at the main harness plug (8 pin), so I replaced the factory 8 pin plug with a Deutsch plug, and also replaced the 3 wire PTT plug with a Deutsch plug as well.

Plugged everything in, fortunately it solved my no-start, but now my power tilt UP doesn't tilt the motor (from the binnacle switch only, on-motor switch works). Binnacle switch works going down only. However, when I unplug the 3-pin PTT and touch the wires together, it works in both directions UP and DOWN, meaning the failure is downstream.

Is the switch likely to fail in the binnacle? I plan to cut the UP wire out from my Deutsch plug on the binnacle side, make sure it's clean with good contact, but if that doesn't work, the failure may be within the binnacle, so I'll have to start taking it apart? I won't be able to work on it again for another week, but would like to have a rough gameplan for when I get back. Thanks!

So I finally was able to disassemble everything, including ripping the whole binnacle out of the boat, and testing the switch all the way up with a voltmeter, and it turns out there’s no continuity on the switch in the ‘up’ position, so it’s a switch failure.

I went to order, from the usual online retailer, which stated that the part on my parts diagram (37850-90J05) has been replaced by 37850-90J06, which in the online picture looks different.

Has anyone used this new part number switch, or can confirm it fits in a standard side-mount binnacle?

Comment

Two of several sources that I see. All the switches seem to be the same, if you can believe pictures. So here's an aftermarket offering https://www.amazon.com/SouthMarine-3.../dp/B07F7X6TH6 and the Suzuki OEM part https://www.brownspoint.com/store/pc...ly-2p55894.htm
      Mike
      μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Thanks, just ordered the updated part, here’s hoping it fits okay!

To anyone else with a similar problem, it seems like it was an out-of-the-blue failure of the binnacle rocker switch, confirmed by my voltmeter testing. The on-engine tilt switch worked fine in both directions, but the binnacle switch wouldn’t raise the motor. Manually crossing the red wire with the ‘up’(blue/red stripe) wire worked to raise the motor, and my voltmeter confirmed the ‘up’ action of the switch had no continuity. Anyone with a similar problem likely will need to replace the switch.

Comment

Working...
        X