Ultrasonic cleaning solution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultrasonic cleaning solution?

There seem to be several folks on this forum who use ultrasonic cleaners. I have some carbs to clean and am interested in what cleaning solutions you use. I've read that people use everything from mineral spirits (really?) to Simple Green to dishwashing liquid to plain old water. I don't know enough metallurgy to know which might damage a carb body (aluminum?).

I bought a smallish (2.5L) cleaner - heated - from Harbor Freight that, hopefully, will do the job.

Comments, suggestions sure will be appreciated.
    ---
    John

I really don't know if its the best, but I have been using Purple Power. I mainly have used it for a T8 carb. You can buy a gallon jug for about $5 I think. I have the same cleaner. It works good, try not to splash up on the buttons. I read somewhere its best if you use some silicon to seal the seems.
    -Shawn

Comment

for years i 've been using Ticopur R33. cleans perfect and doesn't corrode . just be careful not to put 2 different body's (materials) in the bath at the same time . than you will get galvanic corrosion . so one at the the time. works also great on injectors

Comment

I also use Tickopur R33. Use it in a 2 - 5% solution with plain water. Best temperature is 50-55 degrees celcius. (122-130 Fahrenheit). 15-20 minutes is enough to clean the entire body. Dismantle it first. I also clean the jets with this fluid but put them in a jar and set it on the tray.

Better clean in 2 or 3 times then to load up your tray. Otherwise the ultrasonic power is distributed between the different parts.

For injectors you can use Tickopur TR13. Use this fluid between 65 - 70 degrees Celsius. Don't clean aluminium with this solution because it will turn black.

For the jets, you can use Tickopur RW77. Use this fluid between 65 en 70 degrees Celsius. (I use the R33)

If you have filled your tank with R33 (mostly used) and you need to use an other cleaning solution then you can fill a glass jar with the solution and place it on the tray (be careful not to mix the fluids). That way you don't have to change the complete tank. If the fluids mix, change the entire tank.

Change the tank as many times as you like. Most of the time I clean a couple of carburetors before changing. It is not expensive, so if you see it is dirty change it.

Keep in mind, the fluid helps to clean but most of it is done by the ultrasonic tank. Plain water or water with a drop dish washing fluid also cleans a complete carb without the change of discoloring. But with the appropriate fluid it is better.

After the cleaning proces, rinse the carb under warm streaming water and use compressed air to blow out the water from the passages. After that I also spray some brake cleaner through the passages.

Put the carbs as soon as possible on the engine, adjust and let it run for a couple of minutes.
        Last edited by Hoosmatroos; 12-14-2017, 07:32 AM.
        Regards, Martin
        DF200 2007

Comment

i found out that tocopur r33 resolves dirt from old petrol very well. i had a lot of internal tanks from small outboard with a layer of brown dirt. just a little R33 . a few minutus to soak and flush with hot water. and they where clean

Comment

Where do you buy this stuff.?

Comment

Originally posted by wilbur1 View Post
              Where do you buy this stuff.?
              I have this question, too. From a Google search, Ebay showed this stuff available. The bad news is that it was being sold from Germany. Shipping was slightly more expensive than the cost of the product! It seems like there should be a comparable product here in the US. But .. maybe not.
              ---
              John

Comment

Although Tickopur is a great cleaner, there are many cleaning solutions alike. Sonicslab Tek33 for instance. But I guess that you can buy local a carburetor cleaner for use with a ultrasonic device. The solutions are pretty much the same.

Read the specs first before you put in your parts. Some solutions are not universal and can be discoloring your parts.
                Regards, Martin
                DF200 2007

Comment

I used to use this years ago, decades ago!! when I worked on carburetors. Didn't use it with ultrasonic cleaner, but it might work that way. https://www.berrymanproducts.com/pro...parts-cleaner/
                  Last edited by Harper; 12-15-2017, 09:08 PM.
                  Mike
                  μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Working...
                  X