Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Repowering with DF100B. Any known issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repowering with DF100B. Any known issues?

Hey boys and girls, I’ve just had my DF90a (2012) motor serviced (1100 hours) and the Suzuki service center mentioned a good trade price for my motor and specials on motors and digital gauges. I’m seriously considering the 100B for the my 5.2 meter centre console. My Suzi has been great. It did break down twice with faulty IAC (idle air control valve).
    I’m tempted to go with Yamaha for reliability. Has anyone been using the 100B and got any information good or bad?
    Suzuki had a reputation for internal corrosion. Has this been rectified? Cheers Nick

The “reputation for internal corrosion” was something spread by competitors many years ago. An old chestnut.

The only real corrosion example was the early DF90 - 140 2.0L engines up to 2007 that had an issue with the engine holder where a steel plug was used in the alloy engine holder, but that was fixed in 2008.

Did your 90A corrode out? No? Neither did my 2010 DF115. Change the internal anodes and do the usual flushing, and no problems.

The Japanese made motors are all very well designed and are super reliable these days. I would see no reason why the new 100B wouldn’t be as well.

Suzuki are easily as good as a Yamaha or Honda. The new (to the USA) Suzuki SMG4 gauge is very nice and reliable too.

A friend recently got a new 90 Yamaha for his plate side console boat and loves it. He boasts about seeing around 3 kilometres per litre, well, my DF115B on a larger cabin boat has been getting 2.9!

Like you, I had my previous DF115 serviced early this year and my dealer made me a very attractive changeover offer for a new DF115B with all new cables, controls, SMG4 gauge and installation, which I grabbed before he changed his mind.

The new lean burn technology is very good. Mine is showing at least 30% better fuel economy and vastly superior torque across the rev range. There night not be quite the fuel savings from the 90A to the 90B but I would expect maybe 10–15% better.

If youve got a good local Suzuki dealer there is no reason I can see to not go with the new 100B.

Comment

Thanks for the replay Moonlighter! You’re right, I should block out the ‘noise’ from competitors! My motor has been close to flawless.
      It did break down twice, both times with faulty IAC valve. Both times I was fortunate enough to make it back to the ramp!
      It does play on my mind a bit when I’m on the outside of the GBR and 100km from ramp!
      As far as corrosion goes, I’m pretty sure it’s good. I like to flush my motor at the boat ramp. Generally it’s only 5 minutes from retrieval and motor is still warm. I like to think it doesn’t give salt the time to solidify.
      Ive kept up the 100 hour services with Suzuki and always put the kit though it.
      It’s good to hear first hand about the B series. Sounds like you’re loving it! Cheers Nick

Comment

Yamaha, although at one time, possibly the "Most Dependable" the others have caught up, and in many ways surpassed Yamaha's "Dependability"

I for one, has to believe that a Timing Chain is more dependable than a Timing Belt. especially on a "Interference" type engine

Comment

Yeah I like the idea of a timing chain verse belt but I don’t think that changes ‘reliability’ of the motor, which is my main concern. Cars and outboards have been using belts forever. Belts on cars require changing at 100 000 kms. From my research the timing belt on Yamaha doesn’t seem to be an issue.

Comment

Working...
          X