Nmea 2000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nmea 2000

Last week while in the boat I started it to head back and neither c10 or my Lowrance would display any engine info. Neither c10 will power up. No problems until this point.
    Where do I start troubleshooting?
    Thanks.

The C-10 get their operating power from the network. As does the Suzuki interface.

That is the clue that yells you that the network power is not turned on. Thats the problem. Devices dont communicate without the network being powered on.

For whatever reason:

- Power wire broken/disconnected/unplugged/loose from its T.
    - fuse blown in power wire
    - bad network T that power is connected to or its not plugged in correctly.

You will need to get behind the dash, find the NMEA2000 backbone, check that the T’s are all connected together tightly, check thst the power connection is tight to the T and that the + and - wires connections are good , fuse is good.

check that the + wire is actually getting power when the key/network power switch is turned on.

Last step if all that is proven good is to swap power to a different T.
    Last edited by Moonlighter; 10-07-2023, 12:05 AM.

Comment

Thanks.
      I’ll check and report back.

Comment

Update.
        The cable labeled “engine interface” blows the fuse when plugged in the backbone regardless of T location. I don’t see any obvious breaks in the cable. Could the cable have gone bad? Any suggestions?
        Thanks.

Comment

Yes the interface cables do go bad.

Be aware though that they are connected to the engine harness, so its worth checking the harness between the dash and the engine for damage that night be causing a short. If you find no issues then ots a faulty interface cable.

You will need to replace the faulty interface with the correct version to suit your engine year.

Version 2.9.4 for engines 2008-2012
          Version 3.5.7 for engines 2013 and newer.

Comment

Thanks for your help.

Comment

One last thing before I purchase a new cable.
              There are two plugs on the engine interface cable, a 2 pin and a 4 pin. It’s the 4 pin that blows the fuse when plugged in. Does that sound like it’s the cable?
              I don’t see anything visually wrong with the wires behind the dash or on the engine. But there were two anti interference rings on the cable that I don’t see in pictures of new cables. The cable was wrapped pretty tight in order to go in the rings twice, may have caused a break inside.
              thanks.

Comment

Interface cables have 2 plugs. The 2 pin plug is for trim data. The main plug from the ecu is the 4 pin plug.

It sounds like you have one of the old interface cables with the walnut sized noise suppressors..

What year is your engine? Youve never mentioned that and its critical that if you replace the interface cable you get the right one to suit the engine year.

Comment

Engine is a 2016 df200 mechanical shift.

Comment

New version 3.5.7 cable is the correct one.

Im kind of surprised that the old version cable even worked with that engine!

Anyway, if the harness between engine and helm is good, a new cable should see things working again.

When you install it you need to configure the interface. its easiest to do this on the Lowrance display, just make sure engine key is turned on where it beeps but dont start the engine.

Then go into the network menu, device list, locate the Suzuki interface and select Configure. Then the ONLY thing to set is the engine location - for single engines, select Centre. Dont try to set the hp or year they are auto detected.

Then I always recommend doing the auto select for network data sources, this purges the old interface from device sources and sets the new one. This is how:
                    1. menu/settings/network
                    2. then select Auto Configure. It will pop up a warning to tell you to make sure ALL DEVICES attached to the N2K network are turned on before proceeding. Do that.
                    3. Then Proceed. Done.

Comment

Thanks again.

Comment

Good day.
                        I have taken a chance buying an old Suzuki, a DF225. I has only 460 hours, and generally looks good and run well. Being installed on a Capelli 750 which looks super, I guess a price of 18.000,- euros is quite ok.
                        The boat has an old Raymarine E80 with radar installed, all works well.
                        Now, on my previous boat I installed the NMEA2000 network from a DF140 2010 with the C10 display and Simrad NSE MFD and all worked fine.
                        I think I have read somewhere that this old engine will not work with the C10, is that correct? Will it work with the E80 when installing the NMEA2000 network and proper adapters?
                        I have located the plug on the engine, its surely the round one, not the square that I had on my other engine.
                        Thanks for your replys :-)

Comment

Round SDS plug means that the engine is earlier than 2008.

Do you know what year it actually is? The model number or serial number usually has a K number eg a K6 would be 2006.

The problem with those earlier engines is finding an interface cable that will work properly with them. The current model Version 294 cable only works with engines as far back as 2008. So you need to find a used old model cable - they are discontinued and can only be found secondhand. Many people want them for the same reason as you, so they are difficult to find, and expensive.

The old model cables can be distinguished from the new version because they have 2 walnut sized noise supressors .

Comment

The plate says 22501F-421079 which should give the year 2004.
                            Would it be a possibility to make an adapter from round to square and try the 294 version or is the output from the engine totally different for 2004 model compared to 2008 model?
                            I found a company called ****en Channels claiming they have the solution for pre 2007 models with working adapters. Any experience with this?
                            Last edited by ivestfold; 12-17-2023, 10:27 AM.

Comment

This post made by mistake..
                              Last edited by ivestfold; 12-17-2023, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X