Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 150hp wont crank

Hello,
    I have two 2017 df150s with c10 guages. Attempted to crank and run the engines after a few weeks of sitting idle and neither would crank. When I push the start button nothing happens.
    Batteries are good and holding 12.7 volts measured at the ignition switch.
    Remote trim does not work unless the ignition switch is on.
    When ignition is turned on one can hear (what I presume to be the fuel pump) running (both engines).
    Binnacle potentiometers check good.
    No error codes showing on the guages.
    I would appreciate any suggestions, ideas or anything else that may help me figure out what is wrong.

Battery voltage with no load is no real test of battery charge or condition! Is the control in neutral? Have you removed the battery terminals (at both ends) to ensure they are clean? Do you hear any sort of response when attempting to start (beside the fuel pump)?

Comment

I agree about battery voltage without load is not enough information about the batteries but I have two banks of two batteries in parrallel. Two of the batteries, one bank, is new and I have the same results with both banks so I felt the probability of it being batteries or low voltage is rather low.
      The control is in neutral and it appears that the "switches" in the binnacle are potentiometers. I did a check with the ohm meter and they both appear to be working.
      Battery terminals are pristine. The second battery bank was installed less than a month ago and the terminals were cleaned at the batteries at that time. I have also pinged the cables to the motor and cleaned them at the starters.
      No noise of any kind other than the high pitched whine when the ignition is turned on.
      Both engines are acting the same. Neither will turn over. Both make noise when the ignition is turned on.
      I have tried to complete the checks that are suggested in the "white wire sticky" on the site because I feel that it has to be something that is common to both engines like a white wire, or other wiring/switch.
      I am frustrated and asking for help please!

Comment

Another thing, when the battery voltage is low I usually get an error code on the guages, something about being unable to communicate. No error codes are displayed and no alarms. The guages seem to take slightly longer to go through their checks on startup but they complete the checks and the guages act normal.

Comment

All you have stated still pointing to low batteries IMO.

Have you put them on a charger?

Comment

check you engine fuses?
            a friend with twin 250's had a problem sometime back where the 30A fuse was blown
            two other thoughts
            the emergency shut off switch (the red button with the clip)
            check that by taking the clip off and pulling the button out a few times
            the other thought is the neutral safety switch. make sure to cycle the gear forward to reverse a couple of times and recenter

and as mentioned it wouldn't hurt to throw a charger on the batteries, even though from what you have said it is not likely.but it would just rule out that issue
            Art

Comment

Rather than root around with chargers, just do a simple voltage drop test, it will confirm many things in no time.

Comment

Working...
              X