Freshwater flushing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freshwater flushing

Hi guys, I have just bought a DF225 2004 model. I notice that this one has a flush inlet on the back side, and I wonder, will this one be sufficient for flushing when the engine is tilted up to the rest position in the marina? Will also the impeller and water pump be flushed?
    Happy Easter.

IMG_6956.jpeg
    IMG_6957.jpeg
    From a 2009 DF90A owners manual. With engine tilted or vertical in block letters ENGINE NOT RUNNING I would assume the water pump will not be flushed which is probably one of the reasons Suzuki recommends replacing the impeller ever 200 hours and inspecting the water pump every 200 hours. Be interesting to see what some of the other salt water members say, I’m a freshwater boater.

Comment

Yeah, I saw that point in the manual. So probably the only way th flush the pump is to put a muffler with fresh water on the water inlet on the underwater housing.

Comment

Flushing will run water through the whole system, including the impeller
        Some fresh water will still remain in the lower unit because it is tilted up.
        And it is very important not to run the engine with water from the flushing port.. the primary reason is the impeller.. not designed to run off the flush port supply and will damage the water pump
        the main reason for the flush port is 3to flush out the power head..
        Art

Comment

Art ; what do you think about pumping descaler through the flush ports?

Comment

I'm not the expert in this area...
            I would think running it in a barrel would be more efficient

Comment

Since my engine is permanently running in salt water I guess it should be a routine to run water throiugh the flush port after every trip, when engine tilted up.

Comment

After flushing engine at flush port, then tilt it up. After flushing for 5-10 minutes then let drain a couple minutes and tilt up, even if at a dock, if on a lift or trailer leave down longer to drain.

Comment

Working...
                X