2003 DT225 will not start...runs perfect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 DT225 will not start...runs perfect

So I started this post 2 months ago but it got erased...long background. Had this motor since new. Started within 2 -5 seconds of cranking every single time ever, even after winterizing and fogging. Early may, dropped it in the water and drove the 30-40 min across the bay to the dock...no issues what-so ever. Parked it and went home. Next day would not start. Tried every throttle position...no help. Hung a spark plug jumpered to block...no spark. Had no tach bump during cranking, per the manual... check yellow engine rotation signal out of ICU. Looking for 12v ...had 1 +. Checked the resistance of every timing coil and gear counting coil, and checked the voltage output of all 4, same as the last 15 years when I did some testing..per book, bad ICU. Replaced with supposedly good unit, no help no start..didn't help. Didn't recheck spark.. then I checked every sensor and wire on the engine...couldn't find anything. Tried anything that would kill spark...kill switch, tach, ignition switch, rotor head...all no help. In the end changed all 4 timing coils, and stator coil , ICU AGAIN, CDI, and regulator...started 4 or 5 times..went home. Next day...WOULD NOT START. Checked for spark..sparks during crank. Checked fuel pressure....36psi and did not drop after 15 min so injectors not leaking. Pushed throttle up hi, engine starts. Took for a 1 hour run. ALL PARAMETERS PERFECT. Idle hi speed fuel flow, temp smooth running. Went back to dock and turned off...WOULD NOT RESTART..waited 15 min...would not start no matter where throttle was set...im almost done with this devils plaything

Yes this site has gotten real flakey.. Have sent messages to the supposedly "*****" - but multiple requests are all unanswered

I don't have the wiring schematic for a DT model
    but on the DF model there are a couple of things that suppress the spark
    would start with the throttle position sensor
    the DF model will not start with the remote in any position but in netural. My DF model has two sensors one in the remote and the other where the shift cable terminates on the engine.
    If it started at WOT, that is not good or what it is even supposed to do.

Art

Comment

I might check the neutral safety switch at the motor. The TPS and the oil flow switch. The oil flow switch could need to be cleaned (old oil not flowing well?), or replaced? It can affect spark if not working properly?
      I know you have checked everything multiple times, but this appears to be an intermittent electrical problem and until it is located will cause much grief.
      This motor is 21 years old, but that doesn't mean it is dead. It means some contacts might be wearing thin, starting to fail?
      ​​​​The gear counting coil if mounted correctly (not all rusted), and the TPS (valve not sticking, sliding smoothly) and both reading good per manual? How old is ignition switch, isolation switch?

The neutral switch can easily be jumped just to test, but motor will start all positions (F-N-R), thinking it's in neutral-limiting rpms. Be careful to use neutral position only.
      Might check voltages going into ICU, you have the manual, follow the wiring diagram.
      It is possible for wires to look new, but may be corroded internally?

Good luck, post back on what you find out.
      Last edited by Solarman; Yesterday, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X