DT15 Ignition Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DT15 Ignition Problem

A friend's DT15 has an ignition problem, no spark period. If I put my volt meter on his induction coil (disconnected from the ignition system) I get around 15 VAC when the motor's pull starter is pulled. I've checked this with another DT15 and that seems right. When I check the voltage of the output of the little black box (the wires that go to the ignition coil, with the ignition coil disconnected) I only get a few tenths of a volt. I've checked this with a few other little black boxes here (none are known good, but at least two are suspected good) and I get the same reading. When I connect the whole ignition system and pull start the motor I get no spark. Measuring from one high voltage spark plug connection to the other I only get a few volts.

Does anyone have any troubleshooting tips I can perform using a digital VOM?

A known good motor should be back in a day and I can pull parts off that and start swapping parts. But I would like to know for future reference if anyone has any troubleshooting tips besides swapping parts.

Thanks!
    Greg

More info

Today I used a working motor and got some measurements. Here's the difference between the two motors:

Working
    Stator (pickup) open circuit output voltage: 35VAC
    Stator (pickup) output current: around 35mA

Black Box open circuit output voltage: 35VAC
    Black Box output current: around 35mA

Non working
    Stator (pickup) open circuit output voltage: 15VAC
    Stator (pickup) output current: meter indicates 0

Black Box open circuit output voltage: 100mV
    Black Box output current: 0

On the non-working stator the resistance indicates in the megaohms. I wish I had checked that first. Obviously that should be very low, a few ohms at most.

I'm hoping the flexible leads of the stator are damaged and I can repair it.

Greg

Comment

Brake Lathes

Interequip Pty Ltd was dedicated in importing high quality automotive workshop equipment from manufacturers. We import quality equipment including vehicle hoist, quality lift, tyre changer, wheel balancer, wheel aligner, diagnostic scan tool, testing tools, coolant & A/C service equipment, injector cleaner, lubrication service equipment, collision repair equipment and much more. As an importer in territories of Australia, New Zealand, and Fiji, Interequip aims at bringing high quality product at very competitive price and unbeatable services for workshops owners and our distributors. Brands: Autel, Bulletpro, Butler, Auto@lign, IE, MAXIMA
      Jobs in Pakistan

Comment

Originally posted by interequip View Post
        Interequip Pty Ltd was dedicated in importing high quality automotive workshop equipment from manufacturers. We import quality equipment including vehicle hoist, quality lift, tyre changer, wheel balancer, wheel aligner, diagnostic scan tool, testing tools, coolant & A/C service equipment, injector cleaner, lubrication service equipment, collision repair equipment and much more. As an importer in territories of Australia, New Zealand, and Fiji, Interequip aims at bringing high quality product at very competitive price and unbeatable services for workshops owners and our distributors. Brands: Autel, Bulletpro, Butler, Auto@lign, IE, MAXIMA
        ***. That seems like spam.

Greg

Comment

Working...
        X